Thread: Vertical Vice Fixture, Milling and Assembly

Default Vertical Vice Fixture, Milling and Assembly

This is for a Legacy but you can design this for your own table
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzxub...1&feature=plcp

Nice find Jack. This plays into my debate about eventually doing this type of joinery on the bot, but where to locate the clamping area. It is commonly done on far end of machine as demonstrated by many others here, but I've been considering utilizing a setup like the video shows on the lesser used 12" of my 60" bed. This would allow me to stay on what now is the normal operating end of my table, avoiding more cabling issues and moving monitors, etc. Just need to figure a way to plug the hole shut for the occasions that I need the full 60" table width. Since I'm set up with vac already, may be best to work on that far end and avoid creating integrity issues with the table and vac.
    Appreciate the food for thought.

jeff

I would figure a way to put it closest to your computer and workflow end. So if you need to set up a production run you aren't running back and forth and also you could hit the stop button if you see it going wrong if it is right in front of you.

I'm still planning on making this jig. 3x5 x 3/8 T6 aluminum structural angle. Meant to be bolted down to the spoil board after a recent surfacing to keep square and then removed. I may find it a permanent home on the left side of my machine in the extra 12". Most likely after i strip and rebuild my bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

What might be easier is just look on ebay or in craigslist for an old dovetail jig usually around $20.00 and remove the comb and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    What might be easier is just look on ebay or in craigslist for an old dovetail jig usually around $20.00 and remove the comb and use it.
    That's how I did mine. Definitely the easiest way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good adrian. How do you offset the toolpath for boxjoints for your intersecting piece? Or offsetting the piece of wood?
    what about doing dovetails like in half blind dovetails where you might normally cut both pieces if it was in a normal dovetail jig?

I don't actually use it for dovetails. I use it for VCarving on the edge of products and for mortise/tenons. I do have a clamp for the horizontal part but I don't use it typically.

I made a right angle zzero-type fixture that I clamp to one end of the board and then use that to get the right hand edge and the thickness of the board set. Something along those lines would work for dovetailing as well I think.

I got the original idea from Gary's blog article - http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php...d-mortise-jig/
    Last edited by adrianm; 08-03-2012 at 06:13 AM.

I like the cam vise action on that Jig. As far as my design, i have the scrap laying around but haven't milled it. Not running into the need. When i do it's just waiting to get done.
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.