PDA

View Full Version : POWER IN

coach
01-10-2010, 10:49 AM
A guy I did some cutting for wants to purchase a bot and move into a bay next to me.
I am wondering if power into the facility will change if we are both running at the same time?
I have no issues as of now or for the last 2 1/2 years.
Is there a way I can find out ahead of time?

john_l
01-10-2010, 11:29 AM
David,
Is everyone on their own breaker panel now?

I would think you need to calculate your load, the other tenants loads, and his proposed load. Then compare that to the wire size, disconnect size, and distance from the transformer.

This should probably be the landlords job to call an engineer.

Right next door? I guess the world getting that small already.

coach
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
John, all bays have their own panels.
The land lord won't do anything.
The units run down a straight line.
Do you think it matters if I am first in line or second?
Thanks,
David

john_l
01-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I am no engineer David but as I understand, they could not draw, in amperage, over what their breaker panel is protected at. So if it is a 400amp MBP then their main breaker will trip when their demand approaches 400amps. To question whether their operation, within their allowed amperage, will cause anyone else in the center trouble in regards to voltage drops, surges, etc... is a probably tough question to answer without a full understanding of lots of variables.

I don't know if you are served by TECO or FPL where your shop is located, but either power company will send an engineer or line services rep to your center to answer your question if you call their customer service number. This is likely also free of any cost to you.

I don't think you will, but if you have trouble getting anyone on the phone that will help you.. ask for the new business or new construction division. Those depts are usually staffed the best and are also probably slow right now.

coach
01-10-2010, 09:25 PM
awesome advice. thank you.
b t w.....FPL

rb99
01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I think it sucks that he is moving in right beside you though...

RIB

coach
01-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Richard, supposedly for hobby and family stuff.

He is retired. He stated he has no desire to go back to work.
It does worry me though.
He is a nice guy and I believe(hope) quite honest.
But I won't get to build anymore 1300.00 cabinets for him.

rb99
01-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Is there no other places to rent space?

Does the landlord not use discretion with competing businesses?

Maybe it will be a good thing...

john_l
01-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Richard, Most retail centers will only allow 1 dry cleaners, 1 nail salon, 1 dentist, etc. as a term of the lease.

Doesn't seem right but the standard for industrial areas has always been different. I know around here it is very common to see industrial parks with sometimes several electricians, mechanical companies, plumbers, etc etc. all in the same park.

navigator7
01-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Maybe, if you and he turn on the machine at precisely the same time and the panel is not properly sized or breakered.

Gary Campbell
01-11-2010, 08:47 AM
David...
Look at the main breaker in your panel. You may be able to assume that he has the same. If wiring was done to code, it was designed so that each unit could pull their allotted amount.

Besides, very few Bots will draw more than an electric range, even with DC & Vac running.
Gary