PDA

View Full Version : DFX files

wegner81
02-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Im sure this is going to sound like a dumb ?. But here I go . 1st of all my new machine is to arrive within the next week or so. My ? is I had a customer call the other day and wanted a Adirondack chair made. Possibily Qty 20. So I thought what a opportunity right. So I jumped online found some free plans printed them out and continued as usual. Then thought maybe I could find some dfx files. Sure enough their they were. Problem What do I do with them. Help

Brady Watson
02-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Problem 1: I think you mean DXF not DFX. DXF = Document Exchange File

Problem 2: Be sure to read any and all documentation about copyright, and how the file(s) can be used. Many are not to be used for commercial purposes or profit. You may have to write the author for permission and pay a small licensing fee. It's the karmic right thing to do, anyway...

3) You can import the DXF file into PartWorks directly and set it up for toolpathing. Create a new model and appropriate size and then, File-Import and point to your DXF file. You can then arrange & toolpath as needed.

I would put it on your customer to come up with the plans/design, since not all Adirondack chairs look alike. Be sure to get: 1) A 50% deposit before you start work on the project and 2) an aknowledgement of the design and scope of work that you are going to perform.

-B

wegner81
02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I have been designing a few small items on partworks. tring to get familar with it. But have never imported any dfx files. Thought that would come later in the learning curve. But when opportunity knocks I guess the curve changes. The chairs are a fundraiser for nature trail in my area. Thought it would be a good project to make on my bot when it comes.

wegner81
02-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks Brady thanks for the fast reply. I have been in the woodworking buisness for the last 25 years. So dealing with the customers I have no problems with. I graduated in the early 80's so to make a long story short. I have more life skills than computer skills. HA HA I hope I dont loose my Hair over it oops to late. thanks again

penman
02-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi Kevin,
What was the site that you found the free chair plans on.Thanks.
Roger.

wegner81
02-09-2008, 06:58 PM
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/cadfiles/tables.htm Note: Brady was right they do list the author to contact to see if it is ok. I have decided to make my own parts on partworks. I found some plans on the net and will create my own parts. I figured it would be good practice.

bill.young
02-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey Kevin,

Years ago I did the file for a plywood Adirondack chair, but was never confident that it made economic sense when you could buy solid lumber ones so cheaply. I was pretty pleased with the way the design turned out, though, and at one point there were a bunch of them at ShopBot..somewhere I have a great picture of Tim sitting in one in ShopBot's first shop!

I've put the files in ShopBot Labs if you want to try them out, but like all things in there it should be considered a "beta version".

http://www.shopbottools.com/LabFiles/adirondack.htm

Bill

wegner81
02-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Bill, Thanks for the help!!!!!