PDA

View Full Version : Putting my BOT to work

nick
03-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi Guys, As I improve my skills with CNC routing, I'm wondering what is a good business startup for bringing in cash.

What have you guy's found to be good ways for bringing in cash such as:

Providing CNC services to local improvement stores or carpenter?

Outsource supplier for 3D work.

Sign machining?

Starting a product to sell for the internet?

I'm just looking for insight from those who are playing the game, getting cash for it and loving it.

My goal is to make money from my bot, as I'm sure all is...looking for success stories to help me on this journey.

Thanks

tree
03-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Well for a start.... Do a little of all of it. Then move on with the on that works the best. See what you like the best. You would be suprised at the contacts you can make by having an open business plan. We build custom guitar amplifiers and I have done everything from making a skeleton,to signs, and to tactical weapons cases for swat teams. I just see alot of people put all their eggs in one basket and turn down alot of work when work is there.

jamesgilliam
03-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Nick, Brian has hit the nail on the head, be open to trying different things. I have done everything on my bot from v-carved plaques to cabinets, to puzzle rocking chairs and signs. The challenge is to get your name out to people who may or may not know they need your services. I have now been covered up in sign work, both my own and for a printer in another town. Make a few samples of what you can do and go around and show them. I have samples of my carved signs and plaques in a couple of different sign shops, along with cut out shapes in a few of the area lumber yards. Our first "project" was for a couple of local high schools, making plaques for a fund raiser for them. Not fancy, just the school logo, with the childs name and class of whatever year. They sold them to the parents, and I sold them to the committee, letting them make half of what they sold them for. This got my name known locally and from there it has not stopped. Build up some inventory and go to the sales that some cities set up at fairs and market days, rent a booth space and talk to people. You would be surprised at the amount of interest you will generate in what you can do. Have plenty of business cards to hand out, and flyers describing your services also. If you can, take along a laptop with your design programs on it. I found alot of business by being able to show someone on the spot what is possible for them to have made. Keep samples of what you do with you at all times, you never know when the chance for a sale may happen. I stopped by to see an old friend where I used to work, actually they laid me off four days after I got my bot home. My wife was with me and noticed their sign was looking "ratty" as she put it to them. I had the sample from a subdivision sign in the van and five minutes later I was giving a ball park price to the plant manager for two signs. They gave us the work on them a week later, and now I am doing three more signs for them, all 4'x8', with custom aluminum frames for installation. Like Brian said, don't count on one thing to make your machine into a money making venture, be creative and flexable to customer needs and whenever possible, don't turn down the work that is always there. I started out with the bot as just another toy in my shop, something to play around with. Now I don't think I could be without it. Best wishes for your success. James

chiloquinruss
03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
James - How long was it after you got your Bot that you felt comfortable enough with your abilities and Bot skills to do as you suggest? Did you already have Bot type skills? Thanks. Russ

jamesgilliam
03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Russ, Great question to which I could only guess about six months. Remember that I had been laid off, and I took advantage of the time with the machine. The first couple of months were spent doing in house projects, then I started doing plaques for inventory and sale. My backround was in oilfield tool manufacturing, mainly with lathes and mills, but with alot of cnc work mixed in. I had always liked working in wood so it was a natural fit for me to use the ShopBot. When we got the machine the CAD/CAM software that came with it was Vector, a good product but not that user friendly. I think most of the veteran botters would agree on this. My wife had been using Auto-Cad for years on her job and did most of the design work for me. We worked as a team, me sketching and her doing the CAD work in Auto-Cad, then the toolpathing in Vector, with only a few unexpected moves, jogs, and of course destroyed clamps. Now with the introduction of all the new software I don't think it would have taken me as long. Designing signs in programs like V-Carve Pro or PartWorks is a snap to me. Don't take this the wrong way though, I am still learning things all the time and working my way through some of the projects I take on. And of course gathering information on new ideas, products, materials and finishes from the forum and of course, other botters. James

chiloquinruss
03-25-2008, 10:24 PM
James - Thanks for the complete reply. I will be getting my Bot as soon as my shop is finished. Right now we are waiting for the snow and ice to completely melt so we can do the pad. As soon as we start on the building I'm going to order my 48x96 standard. This is going to be a part time thing for me but I was curious of your background and learning curve comments. Thanks again. Russ

nick
03-25-2008, 11:27 PM
We'll, I've also found that the PartWorks/PartWorks3D is really straight forward and with a few good hours of programming and some scrap wood, you'll be there in no time.

I am trying to fine a nitch with personalized home interior accessories. Having equipment which can do this custom work is marketable, as long as the quality is there, price will follow. And this, I'm finding out takes time even with a strong CNC / design backround.

tree
03-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Well Nick... I might suggest finding a builder and offer fluted panels and mantels. Alot of cabinet shops dont like making them because of all the setups. I have a friend that makes them with routers and jigs and when he stoped in my shop and I programed and cut the parts faster then he could make the blank he when home and got on the shopbot website...lol And the way alot of builders build multiple houses on the same floor plan.... that just means less programming

keith_outten
03-26-2008, 10:03 AM
If your interested in sign work visit local construction companies and get on their bidders list. You won't have to spend any money advertising. Drop by their office and discuss with them how they communicate with their sub-contractors during the bid process. Sign contracts for commercial buildings often are in the $15,000.00 and up range, the work is mostly ADA door signs.

Check your phone book for local laser engraving companies. They will purchase custom plaques for engraving. This is a very simple job that anyone can learn to do on a ShopBot in just a couple of hours and it can be very profitable. I sell Corian plaques to local engravers, I normally don't market wood plaques since there are so many sources for inexpensive wood plaques on the Net. I purchase full sheets of Corian from my local distributor, my material cost per 6" by 8" plaque is under 5 dollars each.

jamesgilliam
03-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Russ, It is good to hear someone else is waiting on a pad. We are waiting for the ground to dry up enough so we can get one done for the new house. We get a few days of nice weather, then the rain hits again. James