PDA

View Full Version : 3Phase power

wberminio
02-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Finally!! Final hookup for my PRS Standard
Electrician made final connections to subpanel box.
16Hp 3ph Regen.pump and 4hp 3ph spindle.
2 legs read 120v/ 1 leg read 216v electrician thought this was a real problem,he says all 3 legs should be equal-approx. 120v each.I called the electric company they came out and tested the outside feed from the transformer-they said this voltage is normal.
Question-Is it safe to run my spindle and pump?

I have a panel saw with a 4hp 3phase motor for 10years and never had a problem.

I'd appreciate any input.I neeeeeeeed to run my Bot!!!

Thanks Erminio

richards
02-02-2008, 10:37 PM
This is what is posted on Wikipedia.

"... the output of this transformer is usually star connected with the standard mains voltage (120 V in North America and 230 V in Europe and Australia) being the phase-neutral voltage. Another system commonly seen in North America is to have a delta connected secondary with a centre tap on one of the windings supplying the ground and neutral. This allows for 240 V three phase as well as three different single phase voltages (120 V between two of the phases and the neutral, 208 V between the third phase (known as a high leg) and neutral and 240 V between any two phases) to be made available from the same supply."

I believe that the key concept is that there should be about 240V between any two phases. Your electrician is probably measuring each phase in relation to the neutral wire.

carvingartists
02-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Hi Ermino,

Here in Las Vegas, NV this is a very common arrangement for 3 phase power. It is called a delta leg. We have ran a wide assortment of 3 phase equipment this way for the past 19 years and it has never been a problem. The only thing we have had to watch out for was when we borrowed a leg to power some single phase device, such as a light bulb, or programmable logic controller, was to be sure to use one of the two 110 volt legs.

Scott

oddcoach
02-03-2008, 01:41 PM
ERMINIO
I HAVE THE SAME SETUP WITH NO PROBLEMS

wberminio
02-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone /including Bruce for his email.

I feel a more comfortable "flipping the switch"
now. Didn't want to fry anything after this long wait.Let you know what happens tomorrow, when I'm back in the shop.
Apparently the higher voltage 3rd leg is normal,
just make sure you don't use that leg for your computer!Better to be safe than sorry!

Erminio

harryball
02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Erminio... 3 phase power? you get 3 phase? how unfair. ;-)

Glad you're up and running, I'm sure you will be up turning out projects like lightning now!

Robert

wberminio
02-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Robert
Spindle is humming/vacuum is pumping....
now all I have to do is........
Cut-glue-plenum
Finish run wires to control box
Set up computer
Test everything
Learn software..............
Simple things like

Then I hope to be "turning out projects like lightning" (Maybe even a a closet or two
)

When I moved into this space over 20 years ago,
I said "what do I need 3 phase power for?"
It's amazing what you learn over the years.

Thanks Everyone for your continued help and encouragement

Erminio

harryball
02-05-2008, 08:44 PM
I might actually get to cut a closet one day too :-) I've been slammed with work, good and bad but the wife is OK with it so long as the bank account is growing she'll wait a little longer.

I'm actually wire capable to my panel for 3 phase power. I had the power company do that when they were installing my 400AMP service to the house. We are over 500 feet from the road and when they buried the cable they agreed to make it 3 phase ready. The only catch is... when they did it the nearest 3 phase was about 16 miles away. Now, 7 years later it has made it to 8 miles away.

I know you've probably already heard this, but for your first cuts, get a few sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" foam board from home depot or lowes. Goes easy on the bits and you can conentrate on getting the feel of things without worrying about feeds and speeds too much.

RB

wberminio
02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Robert
I've had 2 sheets of foam board for several months
now.Sitting in the corner;Almost returned them several times.I had to hold off on setting up my machine for awhile.
Now I can't wait to start cutting!