PDA

View Full Version : Gavel Project

mitchjr
02-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Here is a project that was just completed by one of my students. From start to finish it took only 2 class periods to design and set up on the indexer. I did the toolchanging after each pass to save time. Total cutting time was about 3-4 hours.

phd1658
02-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow, Mitch. VERY nice!

frank134
02-26-2010, 02:41 PM
very nice. your students do good.

myxpykalix
02-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Mitch
That looks neat but let me ask a question. Do you have lathes in your class? This seems like it might be quicker and easier to make on a lathe as it looks like beads and coves.

Do you have any issues with holding small parts?
Let your student know all of us "experts" think he did a good job.

ricky_spearman
02-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Looks like something my wife hit me with last night ___
> Good chase..

chiloquinruss
02-26-2010, 06:50 PM
"easier to make on a lathe" -- I've done several 'class' projects with the local high school and the issue is class time and machine time. So you try and get projects they can design rather quickly, setup rather quickly and produce rather quickly. In a short amount of time they can see the whole process. They also know that it was a simple project and can understand the processes so working on a larger project is similar it's just that it takes longer.

I'm so jealous though that they have an indexer to play with!
I really want one!

Great job on the gavel, great project! Russ

mitchjr
02-26-2010, 07:02 PM
This could have easily been done on the lathe. This was done in my engineering class where there is no lathe. We just started a new semester with some fresh students and this was a basic intro to rotary project. It is kind of hard to get the students to think in 360 degrees. Now that they can understand this, we will move on to something that will challenge them. My advanced students really do some neat things. I should post more pictures of their work, but it always slips my mind and the project is taken home before I snap any pictures.

the smallest part that was turned in our shopbot indexer was a duck call. It held up with no problem. We do not use the chuck to drive the B axis, we use a little insert with many little teeth that bite into the end.(I will try to find it online and post a pic) Anything smaller, we mill it out on our model master mill. This is where we get into using mm instead of inches.