PDA

View Full Version : New Lobby Table

wberminio
03-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Here is a Maple Table for an apartment lobby in NYC.
All cut on the Bot-including Legs -
Legs by Russ Todd on his indexer

-Great Job Russ

billp
03-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Nice collaboration guys!

wberminio
03-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks Bill

Russ did a very good job on the custom legs.We'll make a furniture maker out of him yet!

BTW Bill,Whats up with the hat?

myxpykalix
03-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Erminio,

"BTW Bill,Whats up with the hat?"

Based on some of the things we have seen Bill build, It has been long suspected that he is a Wizard with the shopbot (or at least a hobbit) and this just goes to prove it.lol

billp
03-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Just learned that unless your message is at least ten letters long it cannot be posted (:confused:)

Gary Campbell
03-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Jack...
Bill is a 37th generation descendant of the original Merlin. Since the close of Baycraft he has used his powers of wizardry to mess up the weather all across the US.

gc3
03-12-2010, 09:08 PM
The powers are with you...very nice!!!

gc

billp
03-12-2010, 09:32 PM
How is it that NO ONE remembers the West Palm Beach Camp of a few weeks ago when it was 70 degrees and balmy?????
That hat is shaped to keep snow from piling up too deeply around my head. (And also to help in being found if it DOES get too deep).
Of course I'm typing all this while waiting for a snowstorm to roll into town overnight here in Magna,Utah....(merely a coincidence.....)

coach
03-13-2010, 07:26 AM
nice work Erminio and Russ. Is the front solid material? How did you get the curve in the solid stock? I always wanted to make curved drawer fronts but have no idea on curving 3/4 lumber.
How are the legs attached? Looks like the table is floating on the balls at the top of the leg.
I am thinking there is a stub on top of the ball.

dlcw
03-13-2010, 10:17 AM
David,

Curving 3/4" lumber is pretty easy especially with a CNC. First cut a form out of MDF that will be the shape of your curved front. You need two sides of the bending form. Take a 5/4 piece of lumber and resaw it into 1/32" strips. Mark the strips so that grain aligns back up. Use plastic resin glue to glue the pieces back together and press them together with the form. Wait 12 hours, pull the form apart and voila - curved draw face. Here are some pictures of a bending form for making curved drawer faces for a bathroom remodel I did a few years back.

wberminio
03-14-2010, 01:32 PM
You're right on Don.

Before my Shopbot, it was a real pain to create templates and forms for curved work.
I use a similar method to make curve panels.
I do have a vacuum bag to clamp to work.

Dave
I had the legs made with a 2" extension stub above the 2 1/2" balls.
I cut holes in blocks that were attached to the sides.

Erminio

jdervin
03-14-2010, 10:37 PM
First, beautiful work guys!

I'd love to know more about sawing the 5/4 stock into 1/32" strips. Assuming you're using a table saw, are you ripping this with the piece laying on its face or on its edge? And what thickness blade are you using?

dlcw
03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
John,

Resawing of thick stock into thin stock is done with a bandsaw. For wide stock I find the table saw not accurate enough and I never get a high comfort factor with the blade being that high above the table.

Set the bandsaw up with a sharp blade. Make sure that you have compensated for blade drift (all bandsaw blades will drift one way or another). Once you've got that set up, move the fence about 3/32" from the blade. You will need this little bit of extra width to sand out the blade marks.Before you start sawing, but a triangle on the edge of the board with chalk. As you cut strips off keep them aligned per this triangle. When you put the strips back together you want this triangle to line up. This will put the board edge back together so the grain matches.

That's pretty much all there is to it. There are numerous sources available on aligning and setting drift on your bandsaw. That is a book in itself.

Hope this helps.

wberminio
03-15-2010, 11:11 AM
What I do to help with resawing on a bandsaw is to cut a kerf on both edges of the board with a table saw 1st.
Then resaw on the band saw.This puts less stress on the bandsaw blade and
helps keep it from wandering.
Then follow Don's procedure.