PDA

View Full Version : How can I fix this?

r_jones
03-13-2010, 05:14 PM
I am cutting Lexan with a bullnose bit and for the most part the cut quality is pretty good except for where it starts and ends. Any idea on how I can prevent this divit?

http://www.rjoneswoodworks.com/downloads/IMG_6683 (Large).JPG

knight_toolworks
03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
ramp the cut longer the better. well within reason of course.

r_jones
03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Good thought but I can't ramp because it's a bullnose it needs to come in from the side. Could this be a stepover issue? I was thinking maybe I could run a tool path that comes in slowly? Something like in the sketch below. I am not sure how to generate a toolpath like this though?

http://www.rjoneswoodworks.com/downloads/ScreenShot001.jpg

scottbot
03-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Ron,
If you are using Aspire you could use the Leads feature.

Scott

r_jones
03-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Scott,
Nice catch!! I actually see I have that option in the newer version of part works:) I will have to give that try and see how it goes but I think it's what I am looking to do:)

Thanks again,
I will post my results!

Brady Watson
03-13-2010, 10:45 PM
That bullnose is really moving a LOT of material when it is cutting. You may want to try offsetting the desired shape to the outside a few times in .04" increments and try cutting from the outside in. Acrylic needs at least .03" to shave off when you use allowance in order to get a nice cut. Any less than this and chips want to re-weld to the part.

Just going in and cutting in one shot really puts a lot of pressure on the bit, and it will have a tendency to deflect and put a divot at your start point. Doing multiple passes will reduce deflection & chatter. Lead-ins rarely help in acrylic.

-B

r_jones
03-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Brady,
That's actually exactly how I have been cutting the project. Except I have been taking smaller steps, more like .02 per pass and about 6 ips. That seems to work pretty well however taking a slightly larger pass will mean getting the job done quicker:)

tracys
03-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Not sure I follow the cutting allowance, but is it that you cut the part oversize my the .02 or .04, them the final cut is just trimming a bit without all chips heating up.

r_jones
03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Tracy,
Yes, that is pretty much the idea. Rough cut oversize, then trim .03-.04 to final dimension.