PDA

View Full Version : Watch Room

john_hartman
04-16-2010, 08:36 PM
So here is my latest project. This was completed for the time share company RCI. Believe me when they came to me asking me to design a room around a pocket watch I was a bit lost. Needless to say I spent a lot of time researching and designing this room. There are more individual part files than I have ever had to deal with. Which in its self was a challenge trying to label them to keep them organized.

This is my first venture outside of building boxes for cabinetry with the bot since I've have it running about 15 mo. I can say that prior to the purchase of the shopbot that I never could have imagined designing and fabricating such a project. I can easily say that the Shopbot paid for itself on this one...:D

cabnet636
04-16-2010, 09:28 PM
that is pretty cool!!

jim

myxpykalix
04-16-2010, 09:32 PM
do any of the gears turn or is it just decoration? I can imagine what a nightmare it must have been to keep the parts together with each design. Then to scale it to the available space and "nest" it on the wall space.
good job.....

Gary Campbell
04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
John...

Very Nice! You should be proud!

scottbot
04-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Nice job John!
That must have been a lot of fun. In a scarey sort of way.
I noticed the peephole iris in the door too. Nice touch.

Scott

shoeshine
04-17-2010, 02:35 AM
That is absolutly beautiful. Wonderful job of taking an idea and running with it.

... and glad the iris dev has made it into a larger commercial project.

sailfl
04-17-2010, 05:01 AM
John,

You may have thought you were a bit lost but you did an excellent job. They must be over the top happy with the results and what a show case for a business. Congratulations

John David
04-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Nice work. This looks like alot of fun and sometimes WE ALL JUST NEED TO HAVE FUN. You shuld be very proud.

JD

bob_s
04-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Beautifully done job -

curtiss
04-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Where did you get the file for the line work for the globe ?

Very very nice.

john_hartman
04-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the praise guys. Its ways nice to hear... :)

Jack- none of the gears turns. However the project was originally quoted to do just that. I can't tell you how relieved I was that they decided against this. This project taught me so much on so many different levels. Having to deal with "proper gear meshing" would have left me bald!

Chris- When I saw that iris you where working on I have to use it. If you haven't figured it out its the same one Greg Banet posted a couple/three weeks ago. I had enough on my plate.. :)

Curtis- The map was also developed by Greg Banet. I thought this would be the easiest part of the project, but it turns out the many of the files online are riddled with extra lines and everything in between. He actually redrew the entire world!

I'll post some photos later. There's actually a lot more outside the conference room and in the lobby entrance.

blake_koehn
04-17-2010, 01:00 PM
John that is awesome! I wish I had customers that wanted stuff like that! Mine all just want square boards with letters stuck on em... cheap!

Would you share the dxf for those chairs? I would like to make several for my office.

upsman
04-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Well Done!!

john_hartman
04-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Blake- send me an email. Apparently the file is to big for this site.

john_hartman
04-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Here are a few more photos of what is in the hallway.

gene
04-17-2010, 11:19 PM
What was there reaction when they saw it for the first time?:rolleyes:

jsooter
04-18-2010, 12:19 AM
That is really impressive! Great Job! I am inspired for sure. Did you cut the chain. I would also like a file of the chairs. Those are clever for sure.

Did you cut the chain? If so, how?

john_l
04-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Wow!

Really awesome John. Excellent layout skills and the colors are very appropriate and work well together. Hang your hat on that one, nice.

chiloquinruss
04-18-2010, 10:06 AM
You know this forum is just amazing. Just when you get to feeling that you've seen just about all the coolest projects along comes yet another wonderful project. Very, very cool! Let's see first the clock room, then there should be a train room, a Nascar room, a farm room, a . . . . Very inspiring and most important very Bottable! :) I Love it! Russ

tkovacs
04-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Outstanding!

john_hartman
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Gene- There reaction was surprised. Although I provided detailed drawings of each wall they didn't all realize that it would pop off the walls the way it does and have as much detail carved into the gears and armatures.

Jason- The chain was cut on the bot as well. This was not fun and probably the most tedious part of the project. There is 15ft of chain. Half of the links are closed and the other half are cut in half. They are then finished then assembled with hot melt glue.

jsooter
05-02-2010, 12:54 PM
How did you cut both sides of the chain with the bot, ie how did you hold them in place. I am just overwhelmed with amazement with your project. I love how you took an idea and ran with it.

wberminio
05-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Very good interesting work!
Thanks for posting

Erminio