PDA

View Full Version : freak accident

erik_f
04-24-2010, 10:53 PM
In a freak accident I fried my control board. Anyone have any idea what it will cost to replace? This is for a prs standard with gecko drives. I'm super upset this happened.

Brady Watson
04-25-2010, 08:51 AM
HOW did you fry the board?

-B

erik_f
04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
I decided to move he shop around. The usb cable from he bot kept getting in the way so i neatly coiled it up and put it in the control box like how it was when it showed up from SB. After the proje t was done and everything was set up I turned the bot on to see if everything was in order. I had forgotten to remove the usb cable from inside the control box and the tip of the usb touched one of the fuse bars for one of the empty driver slots. One of the traces on the board is visibly burnt and god knows what else. The control sofeware connects to the board and thinks its moving the machine but no movement on an axis. I would say this is one of the stupidest things Ive done in a long time. And there are a ton to pick from.

coach
04-25-2010, 11:20 AM
sorry to hear this. I have no idea of cost.
BUT,,,,,,it is good to share this.
I think we should have a section for the wrong, dangerous and not thinking thing I did today,,,,,shop / shop bot related. It may really save someone someday from injury or other things.
Good Luck Eric and thanks for sharing.

gene
04-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Have you tried replacing the usb cord? Hopefully it might just be the usb cable. I'll keep my fingers crossed for u

Brady Watson
04-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Erik,
If there are traces fried on the board, you can carefully clean and repair the traces with a wire to bridge the boo-boos. I have done this in the past on equipment that is still running with no problems after many years. Just be careful & deliberate when you solder the new wires - if your solder heat is too high you will burn the traces where you want to patch.

You can also call SB and tell them what's up (it would be best to take a photo of the damage 1st) and see if they are able to do the repair for you.

-B

rej
04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
check out this company.
they fixed my board.
http://emd-display.com/ (http://emd-display.com/)

erik_f
04-25-2010, 03:56 PM
There is only one trace that I can see that is burned...I tried to repair it a couple ways. The first was the easiest and when that did work I tried (as Brady suggested) a small wire bridge directly on the trace. All solders were good and secure...but nothing. Maybe its time to upgrade to the new sealed control box. Hopefully there is a cheap solution. Arggg. Time to call SB.

erik_f
04-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Tried to reload firmware on the control box. It seemed to load ok, but still no motion. Looks like both cards are toast. Just figured I would update.

erik_f
04-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Shopbot took good care of me...I should be back up and running in no time.

Brady Watson
04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Sweet...It sounds like you'll be up & running in no time.

-B