PDA

View Full Version : Help With assembling new ShopBot

Dranos
04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi all,

I am having some problems with the assembling of the machine. We got to the step of installing the proximity switches but they do not fit into the holes reserved for them. They simply do not go in. While trying to insert one, it broke leaving a small piece in the hole. I guess we now need a new switch. I have attached photos to show the problem. Please advise me how to move forward. I have two days to start my first job so I am really worried.

I have also attached a picture showing where we believe the Z-Zero plate should go. The picture in the manual does not clearly show the recommended position so please let me know if the location in my photo is fine.

Thanks in advance.

bbrozo
04-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Adrian -

I just assembled my new PRS about a week ago. The X proximity switch is really tricky to thread properly. I believe I saw another thread on the forum where somebody mentioned that the thread pitch on the switch doesn't match up with the threads in the hole.

Anyway, I managed to get mine installed by jamming 2 nuts together on the switch and very carefully threading it into the hole (keep it square).

If part of the switch broke off in the hole, I don't see any other option than to drill it out. But I wouldn't do anything with it until you call Shopbot technical support.

And, if you have a job waiting on the assembly, you can still run it without the X proximity switch installed. Just make sure you have the stop blocks installed at the end of the rails and stay within the "limits" of your table when you run the job.

Bill

Dranos
04-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Thank you for replying so quickly. I hope to take with tech support shortly. Good to know I can still use the machine without the sensor.

bill_lumley
04-27-2010, 10:39 PM
The real answer is ... I had this exact problem and it appears it is not fixed . I was told that that paints these pars is getting paint into the threads makin gthem jam . The solution in the field is to get or make an 8mm tap to open up the thread to its proper size . I was able to wrap some duct tape around the thread and use vice grips to put in the proximity swithces in the X before I foudn this out.

Bill

Dranos
04-27-2010, 11:43 PM
I used a drill to get the holes bigger so I'm past that hurdle. I now have everything in place and just need my electrician to come by and power the machine.

I do have another concern. After running the cables and plugging in the motors to the control box (not powered), I decided to move the X-car down the lenght of the machine just to see how the wires would flow. Thats when I felt the car bump as if debri was on the track.
Is this normal? I feel it at random points as I roll the car back and forth. It feels really strange and there is nothing on the track to cause it.
I took the motors off and everything was fine, the car glides back and forth with ease but as soon a I put the motors back on and push, I feel those "bumps". Am I moving the car too fast? Are the motors supposed to give some hesitation like that?

Please advise. I really want to power up tomorrow and get to work.

Thanks.

fredtoo
04-28-2010, 06:41 AM
UNPLUG THE MOTORS before you do anymore testing!

"INDUCED CURRENTS - The stepper motors on your tool become significant little generators if they are manually turned. They can generate sizable voltages in your control box if you push the X or Y-axis of your tool around physically. Occasionally it may be necessary to move the tool by hand, but try to minimize such movement and when you must do it, make the move slowly. If you need to do a lot of manual movement, unplug the motors on the axis you are moving - having shut down the power first as noted above."

Dranos
04-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know what order the black and white wires from the spindle power unit plugs in to the C1 and F1 section in the control box?

dstacey
02-12-2011, 05:24 PM
I just moved my control box and found I have 2 wires that are just a little short. One is the Y Proximity switch wire and the other is the small cable with one red and one black wire in it for the Spindle. Can I get new wires for these from the electrictal supply and make them 3 feet longer or splice into them, or are there issues with the length?

bleeth
02-12-2011, 05:34 PM
No problem splicing a longer piece on the proximity at all. It's just a low voltage current. The wires for the spindle can also be lengthened.

dstacey
02-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the help.