PDA

View Full Version : how to control static electricity on sheetstock?

knight_toolworks
05-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I am cutting this sintra with a plastic protective sheet. when I remove it I get a lot of static. I can't even vacuum the table off as the waste sticks so bad. any idea's on how to dissipate it?

billp
05-05-2010, 04:59 PM
In the past I've used products like "Bounce" which is an anti static/anti cling cloth that you throw in the dryer. We used to use it to wipe off the styrofoam which was sticking to everything after being cut. Might be something you already have on hand as well....

knight_toolworks
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I would have to wipe the whole sheet though right? My hair is standing on end it's getting worse. no grocery stores around to buy any

ken_rychlik
05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
get a hair cut. :D

signsbyjay
05-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Steve,

That same problem is fought in the digital printing areas. We have our customers wipe the material down with a lint free cloth and 80% or better Alcohol. You should be able to get it at any drug store.

Jay

knight_toolworks
05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
that would be easy. wonder if you can just spray it on? hey my hair is only 1" long at most.

phd1658
05-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Can't say how it would do with the material you're cutting, but I recently installed an ionizer and am very pleased with how much it has cut down on the static.

Bill M

harryball
05-06-2010, 02:02 AM
I use that anti static spray women use on dresses. Seems to work ok though not a 100% solution. Think careful if you are painting though, it will need a wipe down with somthing to remove residue, even the wipe on sheets leave residue.

I don't have any problem with my hair standing on end. I just rubbed down a sheet with wool, then went and checked the box where I keep my hair, none was standing. :)

/RB

knight_toolworks
05-06-2010, 12:26 PM
someone suggested wiping with alcohol and that worked. I hope I can just spray it on. but also using a dryer sheet on the spoilboard.

knight_toolworks
05-07-2010, 02:08 AM
well the dryer sheet on the spoilboard did nothing. but it sure helped on the plastic surface. I forgot one sheet that had about 100 parts and when I pulled it off the table I was pelted with shavings. I was covered with them. plus the shaving seemed to stick to the edge worse. I wonder if I could just pin a sheet to my dc brush and let the machine drag it around?

navigator7
05-07-2010, 08:26 AM
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/plastecpolish.php
"Plas-Tec cleans, shines, and protects todays high-tech plastics. Plas-Tec is a non-aggressive, optically clear cleaner that lifts fingerprints and smudges, leaving a protective, anti-static coating that resists dirt build-up. Plas-Tec is excellent for use on acrylic, Lexan, or Plexiglass windshields and windows as well as aircraft instrument panels. Also an effective cleaner for computer screens, scanners, copiers, laptops, phones, TV and video equipment, dashboards, snowmobiles, golf carts, soft top windows, convertible car tops, goggles, sunglasses, and many other applications."

Then....you need a rag supplier who graciously inserts titanium metal swarf chips at no extra charge.

meatbal80
05-07-2010, 08:47 AM
In my teens i worked as a projectionist at a movie theater. The film as it travels around the projector collected alot of static. Every once in a while it would try to feed 2+ layers at a time (very bad normally ended with a melting movie alot of swearing and upset movie patrons). We ended up doing what you suggested Steve and suspended sheets over the rolled film to collect the static. It worked ok but the sheets tended to stop working after a few runs. I think it would be worth a try but you would probably need to swap every sheet you cut at least maybe even once in the middle.

Could you maybe take some aluminum foil and create a drag flap behind the dc boot. Then attach the AL foil to your dc ground to disipate the static?

knight_toolworks
05-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I tired a piece of copper wire connected to my dc ground it did not do anything. I found static brushes. some require to float over the piece that may be a pain. Just give me sintra without the plastic protection sheet :D