PDA

View Full Version : Of all the Strange Requests...

feinddj
05-18-2010, 02:20 PM
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/David/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Machine/Sake%20boxes/100_0274.JPG

A set of promo Sake boxes for a spear gun manufacturer

The hardest thing was getting the bit inside the box without hitting the sides. The box is 3.375 by 3.375 by 2.125 h.

Yes, I did use this job as an excuse to by an Amana Insert bit and I like it very much.

myxpykalix
05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Can I ask a stupid question? Why wouldn't you do your carving on the bottom BEFORE you put the box together? I like your box joints did you do those on the bot also? Simple but elegant little box, good job.

I like your little vises where did you get those and what did you pay?

michael_schwartz
05-18-2010, 05:06 PM
I like the hold down method, those vices seem nice.

feinddj
05-18-2010, 08:26 PM
The boxes are available at any Japanese store (of which there are many in the Bay Area) and are premade. There was some discussion of making them and doing things the easy way but the boxes would have gone up significantly in price.

The vises are from Harbour Freight. They never seem to have the 6" vise when I go there although they do have the 4" vise which is what these are. I have a dial indicator meant for my table saw to get them lined up to the y axis. It has an 1/2" stud. I clamp the Z Zero plate in the vise as a point to indicate from. When I need both vises I line one up, loosen the other, clamp a straight piece in both and tighten it down again.

Like anything you get from Harbour Freight, they are inexpensive. The finish is somewhat rough and the fit could be better but they work just fine for this. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-jaw-capacity-drill-press-vise-30999.html

myxpykalix
05-18-2010, 08:37 PM
And here i was complienting you on a well put together box. Maybe i should compliment the japanese kid that actually did it! lol

Now it makes perfect sense! Well it looks like you have it all worked out. good job.

feinddj
05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
The funny thing is that I just made a set of finger jointed, mahogany display boxes (by hand) for a different client.