PDA

View Full Version : Corian first try

Big-Tex
05-28-2010, 01:16 AM
I have done some self education regarding ADA requirements and this is my first crack at cutting Corian as well. Yes this sign does have rasters with Braille grade 2. I still need to change some aspects of layout and add some router profile to outside edge. I am quite happy with this first try.

myxpykalix
05-28-2010, 02:08 AM
very nice work but i sure hope this doesn't ignite the debate over "braile balls vs whatever" again....

because it was corian did you just paint the black areas then route the white out? good job...

toych
05-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Thomas, nice work and perfect timing on your post, I was just going to post asking about UV resistance regarding using solid surface outdoors.

I've been asked to make a memorial marker and was considering Corian.

clueless
05-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Thomas, be really careful. It looks like you cut down into the material to create the pictogram. I do not believe that will pass the code. The code calls for raised letters. I do not believe, in my judgment that cutting away around the pictogram qualifies for raised letters. Someone else might chime in with more knowledge than me, but I make ADA signs almost daily for the last 4 years and your sign immediately raised concern to me.

You might look into that a little more. You'll also have a very hard time getting the answer from the Department of Justice.

I'm not saying it's not ADA compliant, but I am saying that it immediately raised concern from me when I saw it done that way, so be careful and make sure you're right.

Big-Tex
05-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Steve
It was test only..

clueless
05-29-2010, 08:43 AM
No problem Thomas, I understand, I just wanted to throw up a caution flag before you landed a huge job and ended up in a mess.

How are you producing Grade 2 braille? (the actual text, not the procedure to cut it)

Big-Tex
05-31-2010, 12:32 AM
I use Duxbury to translate and paste to Cad/Cam package.
I have tested to make sure that horizontal and vertical dimetions are within specs.

clueless
05-31-2010, 07:24 PM
I use Duxbury to translate and paste to Cad/Cam package.
I have tested to make sure that horizontal and vertical dimetions are within specs.

Excellent! You're all set on that front then!

curtiss
06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Thomas,

Do you have any favorite fonts for v-carved letters ?

Big-Tex
06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Not really, I use what works for the job.

kevin
06-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Congrats on the contract that will open doors .It looks great the beauty of corain is it polish to a high gloss or flat it takes practice it like polishing a car.
I have a lot of experiecne with this if you need help ask .But don't forget when you buy coran from your supplier he or she will have tricks ask .

It looks good like it belongs in a high end hotel

keith_outten
07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Dupont Corian is expected to last up to 50 years in an exterior service.