PDA

View Full Version : Heart shaped dish

tkovacs
01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Hello Everyone,
This is not my first project but it is the first one worth showing off. These were cut from 6" x6"x3/4 stock and are about 5" across. One is birds-eye maple and the other cherry. Thickness is 1/16" - a tribute to the shopbot accuracy and repeatability!

A link to some images:

http://www.koventusa.com/hearts/index.html

evan
01-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Those are beautiful! Were they commissioned, gifts or...? About how long per dish?

mmccue29
01-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Very nice. Great Job

john_l
01-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Great work and design. Was this done with Artcam?

mzettl
01-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Terry,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you turn these first, then cut out the heart shape and the perforated design with the Bot? Very clever, and nicely executed.

-Matt

tkovacs
01-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

These were completely made on the shopbot.
The general layout and braid work was done with partwizard. The dish shapes were cut using a 1/2" round nose spiral upcut bit. I have a programming background so the part files were created using a program I wrote that generates a circular spiral cutting pattern while continuously changing the cutting depth. To get a fine finish the spiral pitch was 0.03" per revolution. A bit of finish sanding was still needed but the spiral really makes a nice surface. Cutting time for the top was ~12 min and the bottom ~15 min. The cutout and braid work was done with a 1/16" end mill and takes about 3 min. and is cut into the top of the dish before it is turned over and the bottom is shaped.

Thanks again for the comments,

Terry

mzettl
01-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I'm impressed. How difficult would it be to create a part file with variables that would allow one to do dishes of different diameters, depths, etc.? There might be folks willing to pay for that.

Terrific work.

Matt

tkovacs
01-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Matt,
The idea is interesting, but like most programs the last 10% of the effort takes 90% of the time. The process is definitely not user friendly at this time.

Terry

tkovacs
01-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Evan,
No, they are not commissioned work and I'm sure that some will be gifts. Working on the marketing end now - local jewelry stores might be interested.

Terry