PDA

View Full Version : Another guitar finished!

sagreen83
12-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Just finished up this new Guitar Project. This is the first one that I am selling in a retail store. Have made quite a few for myself and other customers, but this will be the first to be placed in a music store. I am also winding my own pickups these days. I have found that I can get a much better control over what people are looking for if I do it myself.

Details:
Body - Alder with Quilted Maple top, Cocobolo center stripe.
Neck - Rock Maple.
Fingerboard - Macassar Ebony.
Frets - Jumbo, Dunlop 6010.
Hardware - Gold, planetwaves locking autotrim tunders.

hol
12-12-2008, 02:43 PM
That's pretty sweet!

myxpykalix
12-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Thats NOT a gituar.....it's a work of art! beautiful.

tkovacs
12-13-2008, 08:58 AM
You are a master! Excellent! Nice pics too.

steve_fedor
12-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Very nice, the finish is like glass. What did you use, how was it applied?

bill1
12-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Scott,
Excellent job beautiful very well done.

sagreen83
12-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

Steve, The finish is a waterbased laquer that I use exclusively for Guitars. I spray it with multiple thin coats, and then let it dry for about a month or so. Then I buff it with a pedestal buffer that I got from grizzly.

Scott...

therechris
12-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Scott,
Do you make all the components? I am making my first guitar and am nervous about the fretboard. The guitar is solid purpleheart. I was wondering if you would be interested in making a purpleheart fretboard, if so please contact me. Your guitar is just beatiful.

rb99
12-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Some luthiers I know will buy the fret boards from Stewart MacDonald (stew-mac) and put the frets in themselves.

RB

tim_mcknight
12-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Nice git Scott & nice burst too. They are tough to shoot but I like em.

therechris
12-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I've looked at StewMac and others, can't find one that is made of purpleheart wood which is what I need to finish the guitar.

harold_weber
12-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Not sure why you are "nervous" about the fretboard. Did you want someone to lay it out, cut it or both?

Here is a sample angled fretboard layout I did for a local builder earlier this year.

sagreen83
12-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Theresa, I dont have any PurpleHeart blanks at the moment, and do all of my fretboards in big batches. I have 30 or 40 that I have out of a variety of woods mostly ebony, rosewood, wenge etc. One off fretboards dont scale very well using my system. Takes too long

I dont actually do the fretboards on the shopbot. I have a super fine sawblade and a template that I use in my tablesaw to make them. I have a specialized sander that is used to radius the fretboards to any angle that I need. I actually find that I can do fretboards the old fashion way a lot quicker

I plan to do another over the christmas break (well at least get one started). My next one will be a carved topped, set neck, Tele with a Gibson Tune-O-Matic bridge. I haven't seen many of these before. The funnest part of making guitars for me is trying something that I haven't done before. This new guitar will be a whole new level of complexity. Just purchased Aspire, so I am hoping that I can do all of the 3d work for a carved top in Aspire.

One that that I can tell you is that if you are not using specialized vacuum hold down jigs with a small "Gast" style pump, you are missing out! I have a TON of jigs that I have made to hold down all of the guitar pieces that I do, and if I didnt have one of these pumps and all of the jigs, there would be no way to do this style of neck. I carve the back of the neck with the shopbot, and you will notice that the headstock tilts back. This makes it pretty difficult to use clamps to hold this thing down. Food for thought.

Thanks for all the comments,
Scott...

harold_weber
12-16-2008, 07:08 AM
If you want more information on what I called "angled fretboard" you can Google "fanned fretboard".

brian
12-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Great looking guitar,must be hard to wait a month to play them.
Thought I'd slip in a guitar I made awhile back.Made from a 4" slab of western maple and a walnut strip,with a sitka spruce top.I made it headless and used Stienburg tuners.

Brian

brock_poling
12-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Nice Guitar Scott.

Theresa, you can cut the fret slots yourself with a template and a simple jig you can make for a table saw (essentially a cross cut sled). Check out LMI, they sell these.

Or if you are really stuck email me and I will cut one for you. I am a guitar builder.

btkfrisco
12-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Do you mind sharing how you hold down your wood and if you did the design on your neck?? I am working on my first ShopBot neck now and would appreciate any information you are willing to share.

khalid
12-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Wow...awesome work... it will be surprise for us if u attached WIP pictures of that beautiful guitar...
Thanks