PDA

View Full Version : Help me get my CD/DVD drive recognized

myxpykalix
06-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I hate windows7. I can find anything and for some reason now my cd/dvd writer/reader does not show up and i can't figure out how to get it to see it.

It shows it in Device Manager and there are no conflicts with it but doesn't show the device when you right click the "Computer" icon.

michael_schwartz
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Sounds like an issue with drivers.

Gary Campbell
06-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Jack...
Put a ShopBot hat on it and most of us will recognize it?

Go to Device Mgr>cdrom>properties select uninstall
reboot Win7
Cd should be found automatically

knight_toolworks
06-19-2010, 12:03 AM
unless the drive is bad. it's pretty unusual anymore for a hardware part to vanish if there is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes windows says there is a problem sometimes it does not.

myxpykalix
06-19-2010, 03:06 AM
uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, found drivers and reinstalled but still no icon for cd rom drive

adrianm
06-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Have you got a disc in it? By default Windows 7 won't display empty drives in every view.

cnc_works
06-19-2010, 12:54 PM
At one point, this condition occurred after installation of Roxio cd software. You might try to remember if you installed any fresh programs just prior to the disappearance.

myxpykalix
06-19-2010, 01:14 PM
I have no cd/dvd writing programs installed. This computer is less then 6 mo old. I am sure i previously have put a cd in.

bleeth
06-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Put a CD into it now and see what happens-Don't forget to wait a minute or so-you should get a screen pop up at the least asking what you want to do or, depending on the CD it will start automatically.
If it already has one in it but it hasn't been played lately you can open and reshut the CD drawer or go to "my computer" and click on the correct drive icon (It will be "D" or so depending on how many drives you have)

myxpykalix
06-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Dave i get that "popup" when i inseret my flash drive or my camera memory card but nothing regardless of what type of cd/dvd i insert. I'll take it back to bestbuy and have one of the geeks look at it. They usually never charge for something simple and i'm sure it is probably something simple.

coach
06-19-2010, 05:22 PM
I had problems with C D's not having the pop up mentioned. It happened twice. Both times it was resolved by blowing out the drive with compressed air. But my comp is surrounded by saw dust making tools.

srwtlc
06-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Jack,

If it has never shown, you could take a look in the Bios settings (generally hit delete as it's booting up) and look for something on the main page that has to do with SATA or IDE drives and make sure it shows up there and that it's enabled as CDROM.

Check the Folder Options/View and see if "Don't show empty drives..." is checked.

Could the SATA or IDE cable have come unplugged from the back of it inside the case?

May just be a bad drive.

myxpykalix
06-19-2010, 10:48 PM
your suggestion of:
Check the Folder Options/View and see if "Don't show empty drives..." is checked
showed up the other drives like the safety partition, flash drive, ect but after inserting several cds/dvd's none made it operate

rcnewcomb
06-20-2010, 12:02 AM
But my comp is surrounded by saw dust making tools. We use Dirt Bags (http://dirtbag.biz/) on our computer and they help quite a bit.

eelnad
12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
i have seen this problem several times in windows xp. it is a registry hack. it is not difficult to fix.

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.