PDA

View Full Version : Table Legs

Gary Campbell
06-19-2010, 05:42 PM
This is a project we sold over the internet to MN while we were located in FL. Our portion of the project was the laminating and machining of the legs. Along with the design and specs, the Owner provided the stainless support frame and the 2" stone top.

The legs were constructed from 40 layers of walnut with each layers grain rotated 90 degrees for a total height of 30". Leg laminations were epoxied together along with a 3/4" OD aluminum tube down the center that accepts a stainless pin that protrudes down from the top support frame.

The rough blanks were 6"+ square and were machined with a 150" radius on each face. In addition there was an "L" shaped recess to accept the 2" square tube of the frame machined into the post tops. The radius faces were cut using the "GC extruder" that uses a varying Z depth pass, cutting in the X axis with variable stepover in the Y axis. (basically cuts like a 3D file)

The grain alternating between edge and end produced some interesting color variations.

zeykr
06-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Very nice. Always interesting to see new ideas on how to do something thats been around forever like tables.

curtiss
06-19-2010, 11:20 PM
So do you glue all the squares together first, and then cut

or cut all the pieces and then glue ?

Looks like the first way would take a pretty long bit.

Gary Campbell
06-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Curtis...
The blanks were glued up and then the cutting was done. These pics show the blanks glued up with the machining done on the ends, and 2 views of the cutting being done. End machining was done with a 3/8 compression and the faces(sides) were done with a 1/2" ballnose

jsooter
06-20-2010, 10:17 AM
That table is awesome. Thanks for the pictures on how you cut the legs. Kind of a side note but when you cut on something that is out in the middle of the table, How do you get it zeroed and squared perfect? Thanks

Gary Campbell
06-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Jason...
I cut an index or registry into some screwed on brackets. Now the parts can be registered at a known location. I used the same brackets to clamp parts for cutting.

jsooter
06-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Ok that makes sense.

myxpykalix
06-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Gary,
At first i was a bit confused so let me see if i got it. The 3 legs in background are done, 1 in foreground undone, right?

So in essence you did a four sided carving using the jig to register in same spot? You cut it on the face of each side straight down from the router?Then after each side was done you just rotated.

Did you have anything on each end like a sacrificial or registration block that kept it at a constant height that wasn't cut in the process? Not that it makes much difference but did you make a four sided model that was cut or make one side and just use the same file four times?

It probably took longer to glue up then cut? good job

Gary Campbell
06-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Jack...
in your order:
Yes 3 cut, 1 uncut

Yes 4 sided and rotate. All cutting is raster cut on upper face not the side. In the pics notice the bit profile is vertical. the tops were cut, not the sides.

Notice the uncut leg on the bench, there is an uncut register on each end

Same file 16 times. It was a hand coded "extruder file"

Took about 2 hours to glue up 4. Lot longer to prep 160 pieces

Around 2 hours of cutting per leg. Thanks

gc3
06-20-2010, 09:42 PM
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8701

another interesting thread on indexing a multi...sided carve

As always very nice work Gary, my in laws live in Lake Elmo MN...nice now where you are but come october time.....burrrrrrr

...wow the expansion coefficients of your tools must be fun to deal with...

Gene

bleeth
06-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Take a close look guys-You have a perfect combination of technical expertise and keeping it simple. The very end of each piece is the correct size to begin with and equal to each other so the pieces can just rest flat on the table. No involved jigs, no involved machining. Result: Very cool parts with good profitability. How to do it is clear from the finish photos. Without a cnc you need a long infeed and outfeed table for a good bandsaw and a jig and handheld router for the end, but having the tool we do we use it.

eelnad
09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
man, THAT is awesome...

khalid
09-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Amazing work on the table... Thanks for sharing the pictures..