PDA

View Full Version : model type

classic_oak
07-02-2010, 04:32 PM
i want to purchase a model from turbo squid what format do i purchase it so i can use it with partworks 3d or vector 3d machinest thanks jeff

navigator7
07-02-2010, 09:07 PM
i want to purchase a model from turbo squid what format do i purchase it so i can use it with partworks 3d or vector 3d machinest thanks jeff

Good question.
Easy way to waste money.
Not everyone has the same program so the answers will be different.
You need importable 3D data.
You need to know what your cad program can import and open.
Typically a dxf will cover most bases.
However there are .stl, .wrl, .vmrl, .STP, .STEP, .3ds and dwg are a few.

Some of the models they sell are for computer games, evidently, and I can't do much with them. That was my learning curve.

burchbot
07-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Vector Art 3D machinist will only use their models from Vector Art 3D
Dan

myxpykalix
07-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Jeff
It has been a while since i looked at turbosquid however i believe that those models are solid objects. What i mean by that is say a coffee table is just that a 3D model of the table as one object.

If you wanted to buy a object of a coffee table in order to copy the legs, top, stretchers, ect those models will not break apart, at least not with programs you will be using. You could buy that object and put it in a 3D scene of a living room though.

Tell us what object you are wanting and maybe someone could suggest an alternative for what you are trying to do.

classic_oak
07-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Jack the model i am looking at is a steam train #470418 i would have a side plane of the model & cut down only about 1/4 to 3/8 into the model

navigator7
07-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Jack the model i am looking at is a steam train #470418 i would have a side plane of the model & cut down only about 1/4 to 3/8 into the model

Jack is spot on.
It's kinda a PIA but depending on your software you get dumb solids.
.Stl's for example. On my side of the fence (Ashlar Velum Cobalt and ZEdit) ....I don't have the ability to edit those files with the exception of inverting the file when a file is built inside out.
My software can't edit an .stl file but I can subtract an .stl from an 'editable solid" I've created. Then I have limited ability to machine things like table legs in full length instead of in slices.

I got this from your Turbosquid part number:
File Format Conversion
If you've found the perfect model but it's not in the right format, TurboSquid can help
Free file format conversions can be done on almost any model within 24 hours
Contact Member Services in advance to ensure it’s possible for the model you’re interested in purchasing
Model collections and free models are excluded from the offer. Please read our knowledge base entry for complete details on our conversion services.

Huh? Why not convert to a SB file then?
I didn't know this!!! I suspect this is a relatively new feature???

I do know I would not be willing to create a train model for $14. What a bargain!:
http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_2009_06_17__00_18_08/train2.jpgb72f19dd-4969-446a-812d-ce12c228fbb2Large.jpg
But if a 200+ people downloaded the file over a year or two?????????? A 100 here a 100 there, pretty soon you are talking real money????

As a former Live Steam enthusiast and hobby metal caster, Turbosquid and a low cost file conversion that costs about 24 hours seem to me like a bit of heaven!

What is the end goal for your 3D model? Art?

bleeth
07-03-2010, 12:55 PM
You can put the stl into Artcam Pro and then reduce the z. Not sure about how much detail you may lose but this has been done countless times by many.

myxpykalix
07-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Dave reducing the Z depth KILLS details. Rather then reducing or smashing down all the model details it is better to lower the model under the ZERO plane. The problem with that is you lose part of the model but more detail is preserved.
There was a guy who was working on a process quite sucessfully to be able to resize and maintain all detail and i was following his progress but in the last crash i lost his link. It was something like 2Dto3D.com (thats not it i checked)

classic_oak
07-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Just want to carve a couple of plaques about 5 x 12 x 3/4. I'll contact turbo squid on monday or tuesday about this. When i called on friday the girl at tec support was no help thats why i turned to this fourm. So now that i know a little more i can resolve this thanks everyone have a great 4th - jeff

bleeth
07-03-2010, 04:24 PM
There is a way to preserve a lot of the detail by first turning it into a relief and then pasting the relief with a reduced z. With the stark planes he has the massive detail one gets from, for example, nature scenes, isn't in this model. Only takes a couple of minutes to try it out.