PDA

View Full Version : 3d Terrain Models?

Brett M. (Unregistered Guest)
05-16-2005, 06:30 PM
I was wondering if any of the shop botters out there are into making 3d terrain models out of topigraphical maps. Is it possible to convert a topigraphical map into an .stl file? I have a topigraphical map program that lets you get terrain detail files to any longitude/latitude you can come up with. There are programs out there that do everything, and i'm looking for a program that simply converts files for .stl use.

If there are no programs, then how can I make a 3D terrain model when given a specific longitude and latitude?

paco
05-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Hi Brett!

Have you heard of quick3d.com?

billp
05-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Brett,
What file formats can your mapping program generate? As Paco says there are a number of conversion programs which might work for you. I've used "Wilbur"in the past to generate 3D files from DEM maps with Artcam, and then I've carved them. Programs such as Quick3D, and Accutrans will let you convert standard 3D formats into something you can carve as well, but it takes that first file to get you started. I have been trying to figure out a way to use my DeLorme GPS receiver/laptop program to do the same thing, but so far the output has been a proprietary file.

mikejohn
05-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Bill
My 'previous life' was aerial survey, which produced the raw data for mapping.
If you can produce a read out of the latitude longitude an altitude it is realitively straight forward to strip out the eroneus information, convert lat and long to a metric 'square' grid, and add the height, giving a 'normal' x, y z position which can be entered into Autocad as a script file, and then you have a 3D file that can be manipulated in any way you wish.

.............Mike

mikejohn
05-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Jim

What scale are you DTM's? Are you keeping a similar scale for x/y and for Z?
witha 1:50000 scale map you could digitize the 1m contours. With a 1:500 scale model you would have a 2mm step down along the contour line. At this scale a PRT96 is about 1 mile long in the x direction.
I like the idea. Might try it myself

...........Mike

gerald_d
05-17-2005, 09:27 AM
"Given the contours in DXF layers, is there an easy way to apply interpolation between levels to aproximate 3D?" Yes.....sandpaper!

mikejohn
05-17-2005, 09:53 AM
There are two ways of doing this.
Cut your contour at the bottom of the material and sand away the extra (green) or cut your contour at the top of your material and in fill with modern acrylic filler (red). This is very easy to sand to a superb hard finish, but is a bit dusty.

jsfrost
05-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Mike,
I'm too busy sanding to answer!

For the lakes, I cheat the scales. Most of the lakes in my area are 1/2 to two miles in length and width and 50 to 60 feet in depth. X and Y scale to fit the desired finished size. True Z scale would not show much depression. I do the shoreline at .050 inch, so that it shows clearly, then scale the contours, typically .1 inch/10 ft for a 50 to 60 foot depth in 3/4 stock.
I'd convert to milimeters, but thinking through the conversion reminds me of converting to inches at the Proctologist's. It hurts just thinking.

zeykr
05-17-2005, 10:00 AM
I've used Global Mapper to convert DEM to stl or 3D dxf for carving. Can also use it to overlay waypoints and trails from GPS onto the dem. We've used it to map our hunting lease and show locations of stands, feeders, camp and trails.

I do have some notes written up for my own use if anyone is interested in them.

www.globalmapper.com (http://www.globalmapper.com)

mikejohn
05-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Jim
Please tell me your not making 3D models for your proctologist!

........Mike

mikejohn
05-17-2005, 10:57 AM
double post removed

jsfrost
05-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Mike,
I wont take things lower than I already have, though it's tempting. I'll review comments considered over the second or third pint of the best local brew at your coming camp. One of my lake contour maps is a attached. Tetonka is the word for Buffalo (American Bison) in one of the indian languages. Piece is about 10 by 12 inches in cherry.

mikejohn
05-18-2005, 01:10 AM
Jim
Thats looks great without trying to 'smooth' the contours. Clearly showing the lake features.
I really must try something similar.
a pint (or two) is waiting

..............Mike

ron brown
05-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Sure be a good product to sell to a bait shop.

Ron