PDA

View Full Version : Sharing files?

jim t
08-09-2002, 08:35 PM
i am new to shopbotting and have little to actually run since my cad skills are poor. i have noticed a tremendous amount of knowledge sharing going on but no files being shared. i think it would be great to showcase so of the great designs people have cut using their shopbot. i would love to see some simple signs/patterns that we all could run even a basic "welcome" sign would be a hoot! once i get a decent file to post i will will certainly add my DXF to the mix. thanks to all who have made the shopbot such a great tool.

billp
08-10-2002, 08:58 AM
Jim, If you'll go to the Shopbot FTP site listed below, you'll find a couple of files you can try. There used to be a couple of Botters who posted on the site regularly, but it seems to have lost momentum over the last year or so. It's a good place to share projects/files with other 'Botters...
ftp://ftp.shopbottools.com/

towers
08-10-2002, 04:11 PM
Jim, I too was surprised by the lack of sample files out there. I am also a new Shop Botter. Waiting for it to arrive. Maybe the good folks at ShopBot would post some simple files for us NewBees to cut our teeth on. Simple will do.

On another note, Of all the equipment I have purchased for my company over the years there has never been such a positive buying experience. Great people to deal with!

Bill Thorpe

bruce_clark
08-10-2002, 05:34 PM
Jim and Bill,

I think that file sharing is a little more difficult that you might think. First, there is material size. Your piece has to be exactly in the same size, shape, thickness, ect. so that the cutting file parameters are the same, otherwise you will either cut too deep, not in the right spot ect.

Second, you may not have the exact same toolbit as I do. Maybe you have the same size, but your tool bit is sharper/duller and using my file and settings you are either getting burning or loss steps--due to the cutter not cutting cleanly.

Really, there is more to it than just having a file to use. The "best" option is to use a standard drawing format (like DXF) that you can then import to your drawing program and convert to the Shopbot commands FOR your size material, your router bit, and your type of material. This is not to say that it cannot not be done, but there is more to it than just having a file.

My two cents.

Bruce Clark