PDA

View Full Version : Chip Load program

richards
07-24-2010, 10:44 AM
While I was installing a Netbeans (Java) platform for a customer, I decided to modify the Chip Load program as a tutorial for him to see how easy it was to build a simple application. The modification allows me to enter the move speed (IPS), the spindle speed (RPM), the number of flutes, and the desired chip load. It solves, simultaneously, for the actual IPS, RPM and Chip Load. Then, I can re-enter any of the parameters to play the what-if game to find the ideal IPS, RPM and Chip Load for the job.

Sometimes I know that the maximum speed that the machine can use is 2-IPS (some 3-D work), that the minimum and maximum usable spindle speed is 12,000 to 18,000 RPM (maximum available torque), and that the desired Chip Load is 0.015-inch (sufficient cut quality to keep from burning up cutters). I enter those values and then see what happens as I modify the parameters.

The Chip Load program furnished by Shopbot is excellent. I'm not trying to tell anyone to switch; but, if anyone wants a copy, send me an email and I'll send you the "JAR" file. You'll need to have a Java Runtime Environment running on your computer, but most web browsers require that anyway. The program is not "finished". It looks and runs like you would expect a tutorial type application to run.

If you would rather just have the formulas to use with a spread sheet, I can send those instead. (I use the freely downloads OpenOffice Calc program for all spread sheet duties. It is very similar to Excell, but it is OpenSource, so there is no charge.)

miker@xmission.com