PDA

View Full Version : Cribbage Boards

signshop@americanwoodsign.com
05-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Making Cribbage Boards is easy with a Shopbot, but storing the pegs presents a problem. Most of the boards I have seen have a recess in the underside and a small metal slide to close up the slotted recess. My questions are:
1. Where do I get a cutter to make the grooves that hold the metal slide and
2. Where do I get the metal slides?

Brady Watson
05-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Why does it have to be metal? You could flip the block over, hog out with a straight bit and use a keyhole bit to put a slot along the length (in about 1/4" on each side) Then make a little sliding door that fits in there as well. This is like a battery sliding door on a TV remote, right?

-Brady

signshop@americanwoodsign.com
05-28-2005, 08:34 PM
I'll try that. Thanks.
Hugh

mrdovey
05-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Hugh...

My local hardware store (TrueValue) carries small brass sheets that could be cut to fit. Enco (http://www.use-enco.com) sells spring steel that could also be used, but I think it might be a bit more expensive than the brass.

I have a little Proxxon tool (similar to Dremel) that came with a very tiny slitting/slotting saw that could be used to make a suitable slot for the door. You might check the Dremel accessory shelves at the local BORG. I don't imagine that the sawblade is expensive.

If you have a wide-range speed control for your spindle, you might take a look at getting a mandrel and slitting saw that you can use on your 'Bot - there are a wide range of flat and hollow ground saw blades made for metal work in both HSS and carbide. They're almost certainly more expensive than the Dremel versions - but I'd guess they'd last a lot longer.

...Morris

srwtlc
05-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Hugh, You could also use a dovetail bit to make a sliding dovetail cover.

Scott