PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus door

shoeshine
10-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Hi all,

for those of you who were following the progress of the "mechanical iris"

Here is the latest creation upping the notch a bit.

...a fully functioning hatch door for a steampunk/Jules Verne 20k leagues exhibit. Pretty much everything milled on the bot, including all gearing and the custom made hinges.

The Iris acts as a peephole. The center crank wheel turns an opposing set of pinion gears that slide rack arms with pins in and out of the frame to lock and unlock.

all out of clear birch and .090 brass. Door is 72" x 32" frame 78" x 38" It is on a tempoary exhibition stand in the photo. The whole thing is meant to be mounted in a wall 6" off the floor so it becomes standard door height with a 6" threshold to step over (like a sub door)

http://www.schaie.com/shopbot/door-1.jpg

Chris

sailfl
10-03-2010, 05:23 AM
Chris,

Very nice work

myxpykalix
10-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Amazing! How much time do you have in this project? How much money invested in making something like this? What all materials went into making this?

What was the motivation for making this, was it for a client? You have a talent for making cool stuff, thats for sure.

billp
10-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Chris,
Having seen the first part of this project in person, I am even MORE amazed to see how much you have added on ! The design, and cutting of the brass mechanisms is obviously excellent, but the REAL "trick" to me is just how precise your movements are when operated...There's little ( if any)"wiggle" room in the placement of each, and every component...Nice to see "living art".....Exceptional !

chiloquinruss
10-03-2010, 11:16 AM
I remember the lines of folks waiting to 'play' with the original piece at the San Mateo Maker Faire. I can only imagine what would happen with this wonderful piece! GREAT JOB!

I love this forum and the things that you folks can do with a bot just like mine! It must be just me that can't get my machine to put out stuff like this! :) :) Russ

mims
10-03-2010, 11:45 AM
awesome work! If you're ever in St Louis, go to the City Museum and check out the original bank vault doors they have in there

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/MTpfRrMpbU0NvVgTT8H0VQ

widgetworks_unlimited
10-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Keep posting the great projects - I feel like I'm steam punking vicariously through your creativity. :)

angus_hines
10-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Absolutly Beautiful Chris !!!

shoeshine
10-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks all,

Some video:

door in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq8mW2WA_yA

Detail of iris peephole:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydJOOv4ODYU

Detail of locking mechanism:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCCM0ZwXsvE

Jack,

This is for a steampunk exhibit in foxboro MA.

1 24"x36" sheet of .090 brass, @ $150
1 4x8 sheet of Baltic @ $100
around 30 bf of clear birch (premilled in this case) @ $150
Probably around $60 in brass screws/bolts/rivets etc...
So call it an even $500 in materials.

I built this on and off over the course of 4 months so it is hard to tell exactly how long it took. But definately a solid couple of weeks as I was designing it on the fly.

High praise Bill, but it's the bot that gets it right. I just tell it what I want. It still amazes me what this machine can do.

..and Eric, funny enough, I was living in the "Lou" when City Museum opened it's doors back in what '98-'99? Awesome place, in the old sense, as in inspires "awe".

Chris

jdervin
10-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Beautiful piece, beautiful finish, and a beautiful photo to boot! You definitely pulled off the trifecta.

road_king
10-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Definitely beautiful work Chris. I really like the contrast between the brass and the wood. I've been following the "Iris" and it looks great. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!
Gerald

upsman
10-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Very nice work

magic
10-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I knew you were up to something because you haven't been posting that much.

I thought it was "enough" when you brought the peephole to Ontario, Now you've outdone yourself 10 times over.

What's next.. a miniature Submarine (or Zeppelin) to go with the door? How about putting that door on the back of a Dodge Sprint painted like a sub?

Hat's off, from one tricky guy to another ✰✰✰✰✰

Gary Campbell
10-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Chris...
Awesome work. Thanks for posting

wberminio
10-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Just great work!

jsooter
10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Impressive!

Brian Moran
10-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi Chris,

That is superb!

I'm taking 'our' iris to the Vectric user group so everyone can see how cool this is in real life. I want a door now to go with it though :)

Brian

phil_o
10-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Amazing work. I'm passing the youtube link to all my friends.

Phil

scottbot
10-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey Chris,
I've seen a lot of very cool things on this forum over the last few years but that door is, in my opinion, the most outstanding piece of awesomeness yet.

The design and craftsmanship are really inspiring.
I still haven't got my butt in gear and played with this iris yet but your door has gotten me enthused about it that's for sure. I hope you don't mind if you start to see copies and variations of your door. The picture is now the wallpapr on my iPhone.

Thanks for sharing. You did a fantastic job.

Scott

shoeshine
10-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback folk,

This has been a wild ride, little did I expect that showing off a piece meant for my shop door would garner this much interest.

magic: I am contemplating a tow behind to use for burning man, I think the submarine might actually happen. Something modeled on a gypsy caravan but with a steampunk/20k leagues theme. I will have to hit up Gabe for some chassis info.

Brian: right on, I am glad that piece is getting some play rather than sitting on a shelf somewhere. PS I finally sent some info/files off to Steve.

Scott: Please do... let me know if I can get you any additional info. Don't know who said it but I DO believe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I will be flattered.

Chris

kevin
10-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Home Theather room 2000 leaugue under the sea
You have talent and vision you need to make money at this
It looka amazing

khalid
10-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Excellent :).. Thanks for sharing...