PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a pressure foot

knight_toolworks
10-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Since the meeting and hearing that widgetworks is coming out with one but that I have to wait things started percolating in my overworked brain. from the cuts I have seen I could see the food being maybe uhmw and with a small hole for the bit. spring loaded for the pressure. I can attach mine to my dust shoes base so that would make it easy.
But one thing I am wondering about it how much pressure would I need? since I would have to use a upcut bit to clear the shavings it will need a bit more. but I don't want my z erroring out.

erik_f
10-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I have never used one and don't plan on it...but would it not make more sense to attach the pressure foot to something that does not move up and down ( unless you are using an older PRT ) . Unless I read you wrong...putting the pressure foot on the z axis will cause you problems on your z since you will have something pushing it up when it wants to go down...and you will not be holding your material down all the time.

knight_toolworks
10-14-2010, 12:56 AM
yes it could cause problems if the springs ae too strong. though I was thinking of weight over springs that would not cause problems. but attching it to the z carriage would make a pretty bulkly in the way contraption.

adrianm
10-14-2010, 06:17 AM
This sort of thing?

http://www.techno-isel.com/CNC_Routers/Images/pressure_foot_large.jpg

I'm no metalwork expert but that doesn't look too complicated.

kra
10-14-2010, 08:57 AM
my cnc mat cutter uses air pressure to control the foot which is made with some type of plastic or nylon that doesn't mar the finished product

knight_toolworks
10-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I am starting to like the idea of mounting it on the carriage. I could mock something up. I have some sheet aluminum to make it maybe. I wonder how ridged it would need to be?

erik_f
10-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Can I ask why vacuum wouldn't work better for you? Using the vacuum has made using the bot totally different. I still use tabs...but a very small number and just as a precaution, unless the parts are small then it is still needed. But the vac holds things super flat...its great.

angus_hines
10-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I have seen the one Russ is coming out with and it is in true WidgetWorks fashion awesome !!!

I would just wait instead of trying to re-invent the wheel !!!

It will hold and cut to @ least 1/4" squares with 1/8" in between out of 1/16" material.

It will also hold vyinal while cutting with the drag knife of theirs.

gundog
10-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I have seen the one Russ is coming out with and it is in true WidgetWorks fashion awesome !!!

I would just wait instead of trying to re-invent the wheel !!!

It will hold and cut to @ least 1/4" squares with 1/8" in between out of 1/16" material.

It will also hold vyinal while cutting with the drag knife of theirs.

The samples that Bill brought to our NW Camp from WidgetWorks was pretty amazing. I look forward to seeing this new pressure foot and the price tag.

Mike

knight_toolworks
10-14-2010, 03:35 PM
I know about reinventing the wheel. I rather buy it save so much time.
some questions will it fit the prt? and is it attached to the spindle/router?

knight_toolworks
10-14-2010, 07:10 PM
The samples that Bill brought to our NW Camp from WidgetWorks was pretty amazing. I look forward to seeing this new pressure foot and the price tag.

Mike

No matter I will buy one. I need it today. cutting 6 sheets of .06 lexan and I have to spray my spoilboard with spray adhesive to make sure everything stays in place. Plus I can't cut much over 1.2ips.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/posting/sheet.jpg

angus_hines
10-15-2010, 09:29 AM
@SteveK It attaches with a leg just like the dust foot nd in the same hole....and pricing was quoted around $185 but thats not firm yet.

knight_toolworks
10-15-2010, 02:33 PM
that sounds good it may clear my dust boot mounting plate.