PDA

View Full Version : router quits

moojo
10-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes I'm new. But, I tried to run router last night, machine runs but router would not start...just clicks..This has happened many times. Came in and tried and tried for 4 hours, out of nowhere it started. I carved one of the demos from "get carving" cd that we received at class. Turned out perfect (well kinda) so then I designed my own sign. It didn't start where I wanted it to on the board so I stopped it. NOW, the router won't start again. I can do the c2 command and get it set to the proper starting point. What is wrong? Thanks

steve4460
10-16-2010, 09:41 PM
You got mail.

www.windwardsigns.com (http://www.windwardsigns.com)

myxpykalix
10-16-2010, 10:23 PM
you need to talk to someone who can diagnose your issue over the phone. It is hard to do here or by email. Call shopbot or maybe one of us can talk you thru it. I don't have free long distance but if you need help send me an email and i'll send my phone number. myxpykalix@hotmail.com

Maybe you have a fellow shopbotter who lives in the area and can stop by. We're a freindly helpful bunch, you may have to pay for a cup of coffee....

moojo
10-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks Jack...I threw in the towel and came home. It has done this since I purchased it. It will just come on when it wants to. Got a little thing engraved today and was pretty proud of it, but I was at the shop fighting with the machine all day and made something that would probably sell for a quarter at a garage sale. I will keep your email handy, but I will be leaving my shop in a couple weeks to go to Florida for six months. So....in May I will be starting all over again. Darn, it's fun when it works. I sure do appreciate all the help I can get. thanks so much for your offer.

richards
10-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Does your controller use contactors (large relays) to turn the router on/off? I sounds like one of the contactors is not working properly. If you have contactors, you should be able to see the coil pull the contacts in when the coil is activated. Sometimes the contact mechanism gets a little bit twisted which causes it to bind up.

A quick work-around is to wire the router motor directly to a wall socket and then use the on/off switch on the router to turn it on/off. Be sure to use a heavy duty extension cord that can carry the required amps.

moojo
10-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks Mike. Your first paragraph was in another language to me. But yes, I have tried to plug the router right into the wall and it still doesn't work. Just out of nowhere it will work. grrrrrrr not working now

beacon14
10-17-2010, 04:23 PM
I have tried to plug the router right into the wall and it still doesn't work

Sounds like a router problem, not a Shopbot problem. Yes I guess it's a Shopbot problem if it's a new router that you bought from Shopbot. But it doesn't sound like a problem with the Shopbot itself. First thing is to verify that the router itself works when you plug it directly into a receptacle that you know works, with no extension cord. If not then you need a new router or to have that one repaired. There is no way the Shopbot will be able to turn on a router that doesn't work.

If it is the router the first thing to check is the switch.

moojo
10-17-2010, 11:48 PM
David, I know so little about this, but I have to agree with you. It just doesn't make since that it won't even start when I plug it into the wall. Then all of a sudden it will work. We set our new shopbot up in July and have worked with it very little for two reasons. Half the time it will run and the other half we are to busy in our sign shop to learn to run it. Very frustrating. The artwork isn't a problem, getting the machine to run is :( I plan to call them tomorrow if I get a break from the shop as I leave in two weeks for 6 months. Thanks for your input, I truly appreciate all the help I can get and I won't give up.

ken_rychlik
10-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Dust can get into the switch on the router. A good air blower and rocking the switch back and forth at the same time got mine running when it did this same thing to me.

jerry_stanek
10-18-2010, 05:41 AM
That sounds like a dead spot on the router armature or bad brushes not making good contact.

oddcoach
10-18-2010, 07:42 PM
try giving it a smack with a hammer while it is turned on sometimes that works if the brushes are going bad

moojo
10-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Yes, I would like to take a hammer to it. Well, I talked to shopbot today and thank goodness it's not me. The shopbot is new. I set it up in July and have only used it a few times since I have had it. It has done it off and on since I got it. It's not the machine, it's the router. I leave in 13 days for the winter, so I am just shipping the router back to them and when they fix it, they can send it back and hopefully I will be up and running in May again. Thank You everyone for your help!!!! When it did run (which wasn't much) I loved it. So the questions will come flying again in the spring.

cowboy1296
12-19-2011, 02:40 PM
i know that this is an old post and hopefully you can help. i finished a tool path last night and right before the end i notice a couple of momentary weird sounds. today when i tried to load another tool path the router sounded funny, almost like something was loose inside. plus it would not get up to speed. i noticed that when i banged on it with a hammer, the speed increased some. anyhow i have ordered new brushes. since i am in the middle of a plaque does the BRUSHES sound as if they are the problem. i hate to order a new router if its just the brushes.

paul_z
12-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Rick,

It could also be the speed control module. I have the plunge version of the PC router and had to replace the speed controller on it (aprox $80).

Paul Z

cowboy1296
12-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Well i ordered the brushings without even pulling out the others. I did this just a few minutes ago. The tip of the one i pulled out was black on the end and i bet no longer then 1/4 inch. Looking at the diagram it appears to be over 1/2 inch. If it is suppose to be that long it almost has to be the brushings. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feedback.

gerryv
12-19-2011, 07:14 PM
A telling question may be "who bought Porter Cable?" :(

COBOB
12-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Has Delta gone Chinese? Supposedly Delta and Porter Cable consolidated. Then Black & Decker bought that. They make a big deal about being located in Anderson, South Carolina. They do not say what, if anything is manufactured in South Carolina.

robtown
12-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Porter Cables are kind of pot luck.

My first one lasted 2-3 years, then I had 2 go bad in 2 years, I've been using the last one I bought ever since, replaced the brushes a few times, had to straight wire the rocker switch, but it runs strong.

cowboy1296
12-22-2011, 06:29 PM
It was the brushings. The ones that came out were .25 and .28 inch long and the new ones were 1 inch. I am not that knowledgeable about electronics but i am surprised that the motor was running at all. Not sure if it is my imagination but it appears to be running a little quieter.