PDA

View Full Version : KD latest kitchen

kevin
10-23-2010, 06:33 PM
I posted a kitchen which is almost ready to be installed. The reason for my posting, is because there are a lot of new users debating on shop bots. After one year and half with my shop bot, I don't think I would be able to run my shop without it.
The kitchen has 22 drawers! It only took 2 hours to make these drawers. The fan was done with Part Works. I used to do it with a router and a straight edge. It used to take forever. I am working on getting an indexing head. This will enable me to do different legs.
All the cabinetry was done with Cabinets Part Pro.
I will post the kitchen during the install.

frank134
10-23-2010, 07:30 PM
That some nice work. I was hoping you show us you doing some of the cutting on you shopbot. I like to see how you make your drawer on then. What type of joint do you use for the drawer and cabinet. Some picture of this would be great if you have them.

thank
frank

loriny
10-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Really nice job. How do you manage the drawers in such a short time?
Lorin

kevin
10-23-2010, 08:21 PM
When I go back to the shop I.ll show draw photo

If you look close there is only 3 sizes of draws It keeps it simple
There through dado the guys I have working is super orginazed

jsooter
10-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Great Work. I have yet to start using the bot to make cabinets, although I have not a whole set since I have started using the bot. Good to hear how useful it is when you start!

wberminio
10-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Top notch work, Kevin

I agree I would close my shop if I didn't have my Bot!
You can't go back!

Interested in your drawers also.

kevin
10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Here are the photos of the drawers; as you can see, they are through dado which I modified from the default setting in cabinet parts pro.
They are the same cabinet construction as the rest of the cabinets. See the logic? Keep it simple.
I used full extension only on the large drawers. The reason is the self closing are only rated up to 65 pounds and the full extension are rated for 100 pounds. As you can see, when the drawers are pulled open you don't see any unsightley end grain. I forgot to cover that knot in the photo.
I have been using Cabinet Parts Pro for just over one year and I thought it was going to be temporary until I saved some money to buy the Shop Bot link. But this is too good of a program and I won't change. I think the Shop Bot link, in my case, would just make the whole process too complicated for nothing. The interior, I am using Silver maple good on one side, I can't get it good on both sides. I offer solid wood on the small drawers. Nobody seems to want to pay the extra money. The big thing is, if you look at my work, I rarely have a drawer under 30". I wouldn't use solid wood on a drawer over 30" because even if it warps a 30 second of an inch, they are not going to work properly.
For the assembly, we use PL glue, crown staples and when it dries it is indestructable. My employees can put one of those drawers together in less than 10 minutes and under 5 minutes to install a slide. The only thing I didn't calculate in the 2 hours is the hardwood edging - that is the longest part. There is a lot money in drawers.

gc3
10-25-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.drawerbuilder.com/cd_custom_combos.php

Not sure if you have a outsource shop for drawer boxes in your area but for us it is impossible to beat this price with Blum tandem slides...even with importation they cost installed $60 dlls on average with a lead time of 3-5 days.

Why do you not use edgebanding veneer, pre glued or bander?

Nice work, thanks for posting.

bleeth
10-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Kevin:
FYI Accuride makes self closing full extension with the same weight rating.
They have had them out for a while. (3832EZC)

kevin
10-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Gene making them myself is way cheaper
Try a kitchen in cabinetparts then add 13 draws depending on the size of the draws ,Try without the draws then add thr draws you'll be suprised how it only a coulp of extra sheets
I use soild hardwood edging brcause i HATE IRON ON EDGING when it come on done .I use to work at a high end place and thats how we did
The guys love doing hardwood edging they feel pride. I haveny invrsted in a edge bander
No acride do not make self closing its blummotion its rated 75 lbs
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=902196&Ntt=902196&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

It think self closing are a novilty they have a plastic spring whuch will fail sooner or later.I have self closing in my showroom I give people the choice 89 per cent in my area go for ballbearing.I ahve install full extenstion for over 20 years never a phone call there indusructiball. I use Heitch which are way cheaper then Richelieu disruted products .I use to live 3 miles from there main distrubition center in Montreal . i STILL BELEIVE FULL EXTENSTION BALL BEARING ARE SUPIOR

bleeth
10-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Kevin:

See the below link:

http://www.accuride.com/Woodworking/Product/Details.asp?ProductID=89&CatID=2

Full extension, 100lb ball bearing and the hardware takes over in the last couple of inches to close the drawer (self closing). I put them in my own kitchen.

I am not talking about either Blumotion or the cheap epoxy coated Blums.

kevin
10-26-2010, 04:32 PM
I learned something new Thanks

bleeth
10-27-2010, 05:54 AM
no prob. Learn a little/teach a little makes a good day.

loriny
10-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Kevin, if you are looking for a bander to simplify things try find a Castle Equalizer. Thye are a manual glue pot bander. I got mine second hand but never used a year ago. My banding time is probably half what it was and the quality is good. Not as fast as an automatic but I can band the parts from one sheet of material while the Bot cuts the next.
Lorin

beacon14
10-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Believe it or not Accuride does make self-closing versions of several of their more popular slides - but from what I have seen and tried I have not been impressed.

kevin
12-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Hers the photo no backsplash or painting

Like I said te next big thing in kitchen is pot draws

Lorin I don't do solid wood edging as a alternative but as a high end selling feature .The jury is out on the response

But I have to get my guys use to working with solid wood edging

kevin
12-04-2010, 08:21 PM
forgot a photo

myxpykalix
12-04-2010, 08:55 PM
high end beautiful work, you should be very proud...

kevin
12-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks Jack

I try to improve myself after every job.I do get inspired from this form