PDA

View Full Version : X Motor Failure

nat_wheatley
11-02-2010, 04:25 PM
On my PRS alpha, one of my X motors periodically freezes up while I'm cutting. When it happens, I unplug the motor from the driver, and unbolt it from the machine. I can turn the pinion freely in one direction, but when I turn it in the other direction, it will get a certain point, then stick. If I work it back and forth, I'm able to get it to spin freely in both directions.

It happened again today, and when I took it apart, the shaft that the pinion goes on, had actually loosened up somewhat too. I took the motor apart and a fair number of teeth on the gears inside had broken off as well.

First question is, what would cause the teeth to break? Secondly, I'm beyond the machine warranty, and naturally would just as soon not have to buy another motor - is it possible to have the motor rebuilt? Is there a gear replacement kit available?

Thanks in advance.

Gary Campbell
11-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Nat...
My guess is that you have a nice piece of US equipment and are forcing it to run in metric mode. This will totally confuse any equipment with moving parts. :):p:D:eek:

erik_f
11-03-2010, 09:00 AM
My guess would be any warranty you had is void now that you took the motor apart. I have heard of people taking the motors apart and my understanding was, no matter what you do after taking them apart...they will not work the same...I believe Brady knows more about this...sorry to throw you under the bus Brady.

wberminio
11-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Nat

Sorry to hear what happened.
Please let us know your resolution.

nat_wheatley
11-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks Erminio, I'll let you know how I make out.