PDA

View Full Version : User variables

phil_o
11-04-2010, 08:59 AM
I am making small round boxes and the final step cuts through the material. The material thickness is not always the same from one box to the next. I would like to set up the cut files using the Variable command so that I can enter a Z value that matches the material thickness.
I have read the section in the Programming Handbook on Math, User Variables (&) and System Variables (%). I don't understand it well enough to use it properly. Help will be very much appreciated.

garyb
11-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Why not zero off the table? that way variation in material thickness won't be an issue

Gary Campbell
11-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Phil...
If you have a working file, why do you rezero each time? Is your material thickness so varied that the same file wont work?

widgetworks_unlimited
11-04-2010, 07:04 PM
As mentioned, zeroing to the table will be the easiest if that works for your project.

To program this with variables, you would define your values at the beginning of your file:

&Material_Thickness = 1.000
&Pass_One_Cut_Depth = &Material_Thickness * 0.25 * -1
&Pass_Two_Cut_Depth = &Material_Thickness * 0.5 * -1
&Pass_Three_Cut_Depth = &Material_Thickness * 0.75 * -1
&Pass_Four_Cut_Depth = &Material_Thickness * -1

and then you would replace the Z values (that are currently numbers) in your cut file with the appropriate variable name for cuts taken at each pass height:

Instead of M3, 1,1,-0.25

You would use M3, 1,1,&Pass_One_Cut_Depth

You can get fancy and have the computer pop up a window at the beginning of the file to ask you what thickness material you are cutting... but for now you'd probably find it easier just to change the "&Material_Thickness = 1.000" line and resave the file manually.

srwtlc
11-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Phil, are you cutting several of these at a time at different locations on the table? You could catch the difference between each location after getting an initial z zero and that could be stored as a variable that could be referenced at the start of each cut/location using VO.

I've been doing this for some v-carved text/logos that are located in 24 places over a 4 x 8 sheet of cherry veneer MDF.

If this sounds like your situation, I can elaborate on it a bit more.

Scott

phil_o
11-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the responses. Zeroing off the table is probably the easiest method and should work well for my application.
Russ, thanks for your example. It helped me understand how the command works. I see that you are from Chappaqua. How are the Clintons? Did you go to the wedding?

Phil