PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Talent

GlenP
11-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi guys and gals. I seen this posted on another site and thought some might like it as well. This guy has so much talent. It is not shopbot or cnc related but thought some others might appreciate it like I did. I do a little sandblasting on glass and man I would love to be this guys apprentice.
Hope you enjoy it as well.
http://www.dump.com/2010/11/06/the-art-of-glass-sign-making-video/

Glen:)

knight_toolworks
11-08-2010, 12:46 AM
incredible. I could not even imagine doing it.

joe
11-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Some of David's work appears on "Letterheadfonts.com" Take a look at the opening page. He begins his work with a pencil sketch and then goes to Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

He's a very pleasant person.

Big-Tex
11-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Sweet work....

toych
11-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Hmmmm, feeling a little inadequate........
Definitely inspiring.

chiloquinruss
11-08-2010, 10:38 AM
"Hmmmm, feeling a little inadequate........" That's how I feel every time I cruise this forum! :) Years ago when I had a street rod there was an old guy in Oakland CA that did this kind of work and there was always a bunch hanging around his shop and he was just amazing. He did some killer pin striping too! Russ

michael_schwartz
11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Its nice seeing other non shopbot methods from time to time.

Exposure to other techniques simple or complex, especially those that just take pure skill encourage you to think out side of the box and consider other methods.

joewino
11-08-2010, 04:20 PM
David is an incredible individual. He's been to my studio here in Texas and our paths cross from time to time, but I haven't made it to England to see his place yet.

He is simply a sponge when it comes to learning new things.

His pencil drawings are great works of art before he even begins adding color and depth.

One of kind, for sure.

myxpykalix
11-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I can only imagine what his work costs! beautiful stuff. This is the kind of thing they used to make 50 years ago for bank windows and such. Very nice!

joe
11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
David's daughter show us how easy gold is to apply. She is using his gilders tip invention.

Is this cute or what.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbcDB5CbHcc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-eW6sxhli0&NR=1

GlenP
11-08-2010, 07:50 PM
That is cute....she is smile from ear to ear. What is the clear liquid he is putting on the glass? Is it a sizing? I have some sign customers I cut for that have offered to show me some guilding techniques and perhaps I will have to try it.

joe
11-08-2010, 07:56 PM
A pint of water and one Knox Gelatin Capsule.

joewino
11-09-2010, 10:14 AM
It's distilled water and gelatin, as Joe said. It holds the gold to the glass until it is backed up with a "paint" that protects it and seals it to the glass. It is done in reverse, on the back side of the glass. Then a clear is painted over that to further protect it from abuse.

David Smith has perfected the process of brilliant glass cutting, etching, glue chipping and the varied forms of gold and silver leafing, along with a bunch of other stuff. He also is able to produce curved glass in his studio.

At one time there was a man in California, named Rick Glawson, that had rediscovered many of the lost arts of glass work that dated back hundreds of years. After Rick's death, David is now continuing that process.

dubliner
11-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Good God, that is phenominal.