PDA

View Full Version : Had a Senior Moment, Need Advise

Jerome
11-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I think my head electrician is getting senile (Me)

I set my two Fein Vacs up on outlets with switches located close to the computer. I added a new circuit and thought I did a pretty neat job.

Now comes the dumb part. I have 3 phase power and to get it I have a wild leg. for anyone not familiar with this on a wild leg system you have 3 live wires. Two are 110 and the third is 220. When used properly they work fine. You have probably guessed it by now. I hooked the Vacs to a 220 line. I was lucky only one of them has a burned up motor, the other one seems okay.

There were plenty of hints that should have alerted me to the problem. The vacs both started to sound like jet engines. The hoses tried to collapse and I seemed to have super vacuum.

Anyway to the advice part. Grainger has a motor that looks identical to the Fein moter I burned up. Has anybody tried using one as a replacement for the original? The Model number is 2M429

I could probably have sneaked it by and got a warranty replacement but I have managed to live 66 years without cheating anybody so why start now.

Jerome

dlcw
11-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Jerome,

Let me know if you get input on this and if the motor works. My Fein vacuum motor finally bit the dust after 8.5 years of operation. Would be nice to be able to put a new motor in it. No complaints - it had a good, productive life.

ken_rychlik
11-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Here is the link to one that was used. It wasn't me, but I saved the link.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2m433&op=search&Ntt=2m433&N=0&sst=subset&typeaheadSearch.x=32&typeaheadSearch.y=4http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2m433&op=search&Ntt=2m433&N=0&sst=subset&typeaheadSearch.x=32&typeaheadSearch.y=4

bob_s
11-19-2010, 01:50 PM
I would try Ward at Lighthouse Brand - http://www.centralvacuummotor.com/lighthouse.htm his info and advice is really very good, as are his prices.
Don't know if he has Fein motors, but the open source ones I just bought are a great deal - 110 to 230V available

curtiss
11-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I once saw a shirt that said...

"I don't know much about electricity but I ain't scared of it"

Voltage meters are always handy.

Amp meters are also good to have around the shop to see if a motor is beginnning to deteriorate or pulling more amps than it should.

Jerome
11-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Curtis

I have all the necessary equipment but evidently I parked my brain on this one.

All the signs of an over revving motor were there but it just didn't penetrate my thick skull until it was too late.

I find problems I used to solve in an instant now require a few days.

Jerome

curtiss
11-19-2010, 05:31 PM
I had one cut that turned out rather badly because I mounted the work piece 90 degrees to the way it should have been.

0,0 was in the correct spot however. It started out well and then the moment began....:confused:

Gary Campbell
11-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Jerome...
I agree with the crew above. Call Ward at Lighthouse Ent. (CentralVac Motor). I will bet he has a replacement. Onother bet is that the replacement and shipping is less than Grainger.

Jerome
11-22-2010, 01:37 PM
I ordered a new motor from Lighthouse. I will post when I get it and let everyone know whether it works with the Fein.

Thanks to all who responded and also thanks for not pointing out that I misspelled advice.

Jerome