PDA

View Full Version : Nesting Question

matt_raymond60
11-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I am shooting to win the award for most basic question of the year. I am using ArtCam version 3 these days. I word searched the forum but didn't see any discussions about something this basic. I would guess that I am at about "B" in learning the ABC's of this cool machine.

I am starting to use our Shopbot more these days but I cannot figure out how to nest my parts. When I hit the nest button it stacks the parts on top of each other with about an inch overlap. I have a customer who wants me to cut out his letters for his sign making business so I now have a reason to get off my butt and learn this machine. Letters seem to be easy, I can just type them out in a line. But I used my machine to cut out some curvy tabletops that we needed and wanted to use the nesting feature instead of just running multiple part cutting actions.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

bleeth
11-20-2010, 06:38 AM
Nesting has never been one of Artcams strong points and it was probably terrible all the way back in version 3. Ryan Pattersons nesting in Cabinet Parts Pro has been reported as quite useful at a very reasonable cost. I think you can import dxf into it. Contact him at Shop-bot to verify you can import your Artcam Layout.

garyb
11-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Matt version 3 is some 9 years old now, a lot of changes since then :)
If you want to contact me either a phone call or skype would be better for screen share.
I be happy to walk you through this.

Its just a matter of having the correct settings for the feature to work correctly

gary

jerry_stanek
11-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Do you have the vcarve version of part works? It should have a nesting feature. Also Vcarve pro or Aspire have nesting that works very well.

seana
11-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I have used this for nesting and had good results
http://www.mynesting.com/

Hope this helps
Sean

matt_raymond60
11-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the input, I have just been dragging things around nesting manually for now. I am hoping to get busier with the mighty Bot so that I can justify upgrading to some newer software. What I have came with it when I bought it used so the price was right for learning.