PDA

View Full Version : making a compound angle cut?

myxpykalix
12-07-2010, 08:56 PM
What might be the best way of making a compound angle cut on the end of this support piece to fit around the curve of the watchtower piece? I would need to take the angle from the tool in the pic and do a 2 rail sweep across the length of the end of the part right? But it would need to be laid down and the angle cut from the side of the part as it is laid flat.

Because there is another part that goes on top of the 4 ft tall headboard piece it will be top heavy. Is there maybe a better way to reinforce this other then the support pieces?

John David
12-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Jack
I would think, if you picked a section that had no undercuts, you could do a 2 rail sweep and then just machine that portion with the board layinf flat on the table. Otherwise it;s cut at angle and do some old fashoned hand work.

Could be fun to try

good luck
JD

bleeth
12-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Jack:

Notch out the tower so the brace goes straight to the plywood backer.

Since you don't show what you are up against with the possible top heaviness its hard to suggest alternatives to the brace, but there have been some pretty extreme headboards built without that.

myxpykalix
12-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Dave,
I had considered the notch thru like you describe but didn't want to mess up the column if it didn't work. Rather then go thru all the trouble of trying to do a 2 rail sweep on the end I just took my shape gauge and transferred the shape to the end with a pencil and took it to the oscilating sander and shaped it that way.

However after all that fuss i didn't like it and would have to run a large screw thru it and didn't want to do that either.

So i scrapped that idea and took 3/8" bolts across the bottom and on the top piece I will bolt them together shiplap style with a decorative element to hide the bolts.

It is just about all done currently i am carving the decorations in the siderails then the painter is taking over to do all the detail work painting the brick, grout, details, ect so when it is done i'll post some pics.

Thanks john for the suggestion. I had contemplated a 2 rail sweep but in the end it wasn't worth all the effort.