PDA

View Full Version : a different way to deal with the spoilboard

knight_toolworks
12-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I have hated the hassle of gluing on another spoilboard. it is a struggle to get the glue everywhere not smear it when setting the spoilboard down and so forth.
A fellow posted about separating the zones by cutting a Chanel in the spoilboard and filling them with sintra. Well I tried that but the sintra did not stay glued in.
So I thought of a better way before I removed the last spoilboard I put the new sheet on I cut it into 48.25x24.25 pieces then planed one side.
I removed the old spoilboard and then here is the easy part. I sealed the inside edges so air cant jump the zones then I used yellow glue on the plenum and glued down one piece at a time. this is far easier then a whole sheet I can get the glue on every part get the sheet down put plastic on it and turn on the vacuum. it takes a bit longer but I think the glue-job is better and the table seems flatter. I seem to have a little more suction according to my vac Gage.

frank134
12-09-2010, 10:55 PM
that some good thinking. I am going to try that on my next one.

thank for the idea.

michael_schwartz
12-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I will keep this in mind as I may go the rout of a universal vac when it comes time to re do my spoil board.

jerry_stanek
12-10-2010, 10:23 AM
I have hated the hassle of gluing on another spoilboard. it is a struggle to get the glue everywhere not smear it when setting the spoilboard down and so forth.
A fellow posted about separating the zones by cutting a Chanel in the spoilboard and filling them with sintra. Well I tried that but the sintra did not stay glued in.
So I thought of a better way before I removed the last spoilboard I put the new sheet on I cut it into 48.25x24.25 pieces then planed one side.
I removed the old spoilboard and then here is the easy part. I sealed the inside edges so air cant jump the zones then I used yellow glue on the plenum and glued down one piece at a time. this is far easier then a whole sheet I can get the glue on every part get the sheet down put plastic on it and turn on the vacuum. it takes a bit longer but I think the glue-job is better and the table seems flatter. I seem to have a little more suction according to my vac Gage.

I may try that next time but for now the sintra that I used was glued in with Tite bond II and I filled about half full and then tucked the sintra in. I like the idea of smaller pieces to work with. Yes I did notice the vacunm did go up. I may try setting one piece and starting that zone and then set the next until all 4 are set and then covering the whole table and let the vac run.

knight_toolworks
12-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I used epoxy but not enough. but I had goofed anyway I put the sheet on on planed side up and I did not get enough glue on the second side to hold it down (ran out of caulking)
I noticed my spoilboard far flatter with the first flattening. I only took off .01 and the whole board got planed mo low spots.
I will buy a sheet of cheap plastic and cut some 4x8 panels for the job. I made do but it would be easier to have the right size on hand. I did one zone vacced it down did the other turned that zone on and so forth.