PDA

View Full Version : cut speeds neglected

alexS
12-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Using a PRS standard 96x48/win xp

Its a fairly dangerous situation in a Fablab. We create our toolpaths in part works 2d or 3d, save it and then open it in the shopbot software to cut it out.

We ALWAYS have to manually reenter the cut speeds in shopbot edit, which I find strange. Have I overlooked something? It never saves the cut speeds and spindle speeds we enter in partworks. Is there a way to get this working?

It seems like the shopbot software is randomly generating a speed for cutting, so if you forget to check this, your milling bit is 90% about to break...

any hints?

Thank you!

ken_rychlik
12-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Sounds like you need to try another post processor.

As for running a file without move and jog speeds, it should use what you have entered into those boxes on the main screen of the sb3 console.

bleeth
12-15-2010, 09:27 AM
I use either Artcam or Part Wizard but the pp and how move speed is determined should be the same in concept. The move speeds should translate from the CAM software when the cut file is started regardless of what is set in SB control software to begin with. The only time this fails for me is when I stop a file in the middle, end the program, and then restart with the "go to" command. Since the program is skipping the beginning of the file with this then the SB setting will be your cut speed.
Post processor should be SBP arcs inch (or arcs mm). If you are creating several toolpaths and saving them at once (like inside profile, area clear, and then outside profile) you need to make sure that the move speeds are the same for all three. Otherwise I believe the software will assign the move speed that is entered into the first toolpath selected.
Make sure that the default speed and other values in the tool library for the cutter you are selecting is what you want for the project you are running. Otherwise you need to change it before running the toolpath.
Jog speed will come from the ShopBot control software. If you have all of this right and you are still not getting the correct results I would contact Vectric. You may have a corruption in your software and need to reload it.

zeykr
12-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Also make sure you have the right units for speed, mm per second and not mm per minute or even inchs per second or something setup for your tools.

The post processor I use will change speed for each included toolpath.

alexS
12-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks all for the help!
@ Ken, I am using the latest versions of part works 2d and 3d, and I am aware that it takes the speeds filled in the boxes on sb3
@ bleeth, thank you, will check the post processor settings. Who is vectric? Wouldent you contact shopbot first??
@ Zeykr, I am aware of all the speeds. Which post processor are you using?

bleeth
12-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Vectric is the author of the software. Partworks is a version of software they sell but restricted to outputting SB code only.
info@vectric.com (info@vectric.com)

Good luck-Let us know how you get it resolved. I am sure you will and if you need their help they will surely do their best.

Dave

zeykr
12-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Alex,

I have customized my postprocessor, but it's based on the Shopbot (arcs)(inch)(alpha-control) PP that comes with vectric software.

If you could show us the beginning of your part file up to the MS command and a screenprint of your tooling set up, someone may be able to offer more help.