PDA

View Full Version : Computer settings

cowboy1296
12-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I use partworks and just bought a flat screen 23 inch monitor for my design computer. after changing the settings to fill in the screen my icons in partworks are too small. other then changing the settings in the control panel is there some way to enlarge the icons?

adrianm
12-17-2010, 01:02 PM
What resolution do you have it set to?

I've got a 24" at 1920x1200 and the icons are a nice size.

cowboy1296
12-17-2010, 01:47 PM
not sure if it has anything to do with the video card or not but i do not have that setting, i did tone it done a little and it appears 1680x1050 might be better for me. i was just hoping that there was another setting on partworks that would handle it. thanks for the response

andyb
12-17-2010, 07:17 PM
What version of Windows are you running?

Andy B.

cowboy1296
12-17-2010, 08:19 PM
windows xp

adrianm
12-18-2010, 04:45 AM
There's nothing in PartWorks that you can set to increase the icon size.

I've got the font size on my workshop XP computer set to 125% as it makes the ShopBot control software easier to use on the smaller display.

That *might* help in your situation but I expect it will cause more problems than it will solve with parts of dialogs etc being chopped off.

srwtlc
12-18-2010, 09:32 AM
You should be running that flat panel at it's native resolution (check the manual). Right click on your desktop and choose properties. It will likely be the largest size available on the slider. If this is your first LCD flat panel, you should also turn on clear type. That should be on the appearance tab, effects button. Might want to check if it's using the right refresh rate too (60hz to 75hz). Might only have 60hz as an option for a flat panel and resolution may change when trying different settings so be sure to keep it at it's highest resolution setting.

andyb
12-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Make sure you are running the latest/updated video driver for your card. May not seem like much but that can make a lot of difference.

Andy B.

cowboy1296
12-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Truth is i did need to download the driver. But even with that done my icons are still small. Its the drawing icons and tool patch icons that appear small. Although small i can still use them. Thanks for your inputs.

ssflyer
12-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi Rick,

I feel your pain! :rolleyes: My old eyes are too far gone to see/read much on my laptop, set to its native resolution of 1920 x 1200... What I've done is left it at that resolution, but changed the DPI setting - this is different than changing the font size. To get to the screen to set this, right click the desktop, and click "Properties" From the Display Properties dialog that comes up, click the "Settings" tab. Then click, "Advanced." You will see the DPI settings. You can change it to 120, or a custom setting. This will make everything on your screen larger, not just the fonts, however, some programs and dialogs, may be distorted. Works pretty well for me.

Hope this helps,
Ron

cowboy1296
12-19-2010, 02:32 PM
i was hoping that would be it. i played with the dpi which i have set on 200. i brought it up to 248 and everything got much bigger except for the icons that i am talking about.

oh well eventually i will have a computer nerd in my house and they will just have to work for their dinner.

thanks for the response.

andyb
12-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Rick,
Shoot an email to support@vectric.com. They develop Partwork for Shopbot and may be able to give you some advice.

Andy B.

cowboy1296
12-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Just sent the email and will let you know what happened. Thanks for the idea

cowboy1296
05-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I may have missed this, but from the beginning I have used my desk top to design my files, saved the file to a disk, plug the disk into my control laptop and cut the file getting the tool pathes from the disk. I have been getting a lot of com failures but more here recently.

today i cut a 3d file that took over 4 hours. this time i saved the file to my desktop and removed the disk. the file ran fine.

now does it make sense that running a file from a disk can cause the com failure?

thanks in advance for yalls response.

Gary Campbell
05-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Rick...
A cutting file should ALWAYS be saved to the control computer prior to opening it in the SB software. Many portable, CD or floppy drives do not have the speed that is required. USB drives may cause a conflict with the machine communication

cowboy1296
05-06-2011, 11:13 PM
i guess you told me what i was hoping to hear. everytime i think i know computers something like this pops up, and to be honest i should have known better.