PDA

View Full Version : Feelng rather stupid

bcondon
01-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Well I have used Partworks for 3 years now and can't do a simple operation.

Some guidance would be helpful.

What I am trying to do is simple. Grab an multisegment line which is closed, plus two lines which both horizonally cross the closed object and make a copy of it so that I can make a closed segemnt to the two horizontal lines and the sections of the outer object that intersect.

some things happen that caught me by surprise:

I made a CONSTRUCTION LAYER and all the objects are in LAYER1.
I made a PATTERN of all three objects (outer object, 2 lines)
Save File

I cut and paste (CNTRL-C, CNTRL-V) into CONTRUCTION.
I Made LAYER1 invisible so I would not mess with the wrong objects.
When I went to zoom in, it turned LAYER1 back on (which I did not know until I messed with everything)

Exit application

restart again...

I cut and paste (CNTRL-C, CNTRL-V) into CONTRUCTION. If I make CONSTRUCTION invisible, I see the copy on Layer1 and visa versa so I know I have 2 copies of the objects...

SO I LOCK Layer 1 and make it invisible

Now I can not select anything on CONTRUCTION layer.

Is there a fundimental concept that I have missed all these years about layering? -or- is t when I make a copy ((CNTRL-C, CNTRL-V) it may be using the same object ID in the database and the application is getting confused.

Thanks all...

(as I scratch my head...)

Bob Condon

adrianm
01-19-2011, 10:15 AM
As well as making the layer invisible did you switch the active layer as well?

If you turn off Layer 1 visiblity it can still be the active layer and any commands you perform while it's active and invisible will make it visible again.

The layer displayed in the drop down layer box is the active one.

bcondon
01-19-2011, 10:23 AM
I did make the CONSTRUCTION Layer the active layer

Thanks Adrian, yes I did... made that mistake too many times too!

ken_rychlik
01-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Bob

Instead of copy or cut and paste, Try selecting the objects you want to copy and right cllick. toward the bottom, you have options to move to a new layer, or copy to a new layer.

When you cut and paste, it wants to put things back where they came from, if that makes any sense.