PDA

View Full Version : v carve issue

brian
02-05-2011, 06:27 PM
I've been asked to do a name plaque for a boat.
The issue is he is supplying the material which is .5 teak and he wants 4" tall letters.Even with a 90 deg vbit it cuts through the material.
I tried a 120 deg but it doesn't look right and half of the letters don't get machined.
He wants an 3/16 offset 1/8" deep around the letters to paint gold as an accent.
Any suggestions on what to do to make this look good.
The vcarved letters are not a must but it was what he liked best.
I want to do this right as his boat is moored at a very posh marina and it could be good for more work.

Brian

toych
02-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Run the toolpaths again using a depth of .25" and use a flat area clearance toolpath as well. Try a few different V-bits and see if you like any of the results.

knight_toolworks
02-05-2011, 09:24 PM
any distance and you can't tell between flat and fully vcarved.

cnc_works
02-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I'll second that on limiting the cut depth during the vcarve. Instead of changing bits I'll run a .010 or less step over so the bottom of the cut looks smooth just because I'm lazy about changing bits and I don't have to worry about any slight variation in zeroing when installing a new flat bit.

knight_toolworks
02-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I'll second that on limiting the cut depth during the vcarve. Instead of changing bits I'll run a .010 or less step over so the bottom of the cut looks smooth just because I'm lazy about changing bits and I don't have to worry about any slight variation in zeroing when installing a new flat bit.

ya that has been my issue too. but it has been larger area's that need cleared. it's nice when it will be filled with epoxy you can have large stepovers that help with the epoxy.