PDA

View Full Version : Bit and Collet Question

archis
02-08-2011, 08:11 AM
How much of my bit do I need in my collet?

If I insert my bits all of the way until they bottom out, my dust boot is way too low on the table. What's the minimum about of bit I can have in the collet to be safe?

Thanks,
Jim

bleeth
02-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Your bit should be in the collet for the length of the collet itself. You do not need to go further than that and less then that by more than a fraction results in a high risk of your bit coming out as well as increased chance of "runout" and prematurely wearing the collet

blackhawk
02-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Just to add to Dave's comments...I try to only have the smooth portion of the cutter shank inserted into the collet. So, if the smooth portion of your cutter is shorter than the collet, don't insert it so deep that the cutting edges are inside the collet.

archis
02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for clearing that up.
Jim

andyb
02-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Jim,
The question was asked at one of the Atlanta Camps and the overall answer was no less 1" in the collet and as Blackhawk said only the smooth part in the collet. That is why I always look at the length of the bits before I buy them.

Someone else may want to jump in here but I think there are 2 types of collets also. From hearing one of the tools distributors talking somewhere (IWF or a camp) there is a full grip and a partial grip collet. The ER25's are partial grip. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Andy B.