PDA

View Full Version : Widows2000

jhedlund58
02-11-2011, 12:51 PM
My collection of computers goes back a looooong way.... i have win 3.11 workgroups, win95, win2000 professional, winxp home edition, vista basic laptop And newest is win7 Home prem.

i guessing win 3.11 and win95 are too old... even though win95 works fine... haven't fired up the 3.11 in over a decade.

i tried the win2000 professional... it is running v 5.00.2105 with sp1... once i remembered password...haha....i install shopbot softwarfe i get v5.1.2600 or later required.... i hooked up 2 lan and went to winupdate.... no help... get errors loading winupdate website not found... i ran winupdate on other machines with no problem...i thinking win2000 page no longer exists

win vista.... not recommended and i don't want those headaches i have read about on this forum.

that leaves the winxp home edition.... i see win xp pro as recommended... guessing this one won't work either

How about the win7 home prem.... in xp mode... i could use this one... but it is kids and mom's main machine and they have lots o games etc on it...

either winxp home or win95..... OR looks like a new machine... which one.... i see lots of people finding xp pro's same as new win7

i thinkin that buying a new version of xp pro software and loading it on either the win2000... which has 2mb ram and 13 gig harddrive... or xp home edition is my best bet??

shopbot may/suppose to ship today and this computer situation is my last major issue (i hope!!)

ironsides
02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Jeff,

I strongly recommend a new computer with Windows 7.0.

Anything else is asking for trouble.
I had to learn the hard way. It isn't necessary to run 7.0 in XP mode.

GDKelly

jhedlund58
02-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Guess new computer is in the future.... ANY version of win7... there is only like 4 or 5 of them.... plus i will be looking for operating system on disk... thinking it will be easier 2 wipe all trial software etc these manufacture's load them up with.

ken_rychlik
02-12-2011, 12:21 PM
I have run off of xp home and the one with 2 gig of ram will probably do fine.

adrianm
02-12-2011, 02:12 PM
As far as the ShopBot and Vectric software is concerned the version of XP or Windows 7 makes no difference. The features between the home and professional/business versions are of no interest unless you're planning on joining network domains, want disk encryption etc.