PDA

View Full Version : Help with sign material

bruce_taylor
02-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I have been asked to match some existing signs. I get the white formica and the wood laminate but the core that matches the laminate is new to me. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction. I've included some pictures any help is much appreciated!!

seana
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Looks like MDF to me

bruce_taylor
02-15-2011, 09:00 PM
it is not mdf appears to be a wood grain blank of sorts in looking around the web I see it referred to as green 209 not sure what that is and talked to several sign suppliers today and none knew what it was. Thanks for the reply.

joe
02-16-2011, 08:17 AM
BT,

That product may not be easy to find on small orders. I've seen it used in commercial furniture applications. If your client dead set on the exact same look the price for your product may need to increase.

A simular option is a lamination of DiBond with MDF.

J.

dakers
02-16-2011, 08:18 AM
http://www.takeform.net/sustainability.php

it appears to be wood fibers with resin.
similar to mdf but marketed creatively and utilizing larger wood fibers it appears.
It appears they coat the edges with a clear to give the wood fibers a better look. they may even stain the edges.
Takeform states,
The key is our substrate-Green 209.
It's a real wood
product sourced from companies utilizing sustainable management practices. Most of our laminates also carry the Green Guard certification for indoor air quality.

if it was my job i would buy from takeform if it had to match. or just turn it down. the green 209 does have a different look but the dome braille dots would be a problem for us as we do not have that technology. this type of job is a time waster for us. But thanks for the post, i am going to contact them about purchasing wholesale and reselling on future jobs that have to be ada and high end.
there are companies that specialize in the interior ada and do it so well like this company does. I really admire what they have created.

dakers
02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
there are also links on the takeform website that take you to their suppliers.
but i did not have time to follow all the trails many of which have "backer board"
googling "carb particle board" can take you to many green particle board suppliers but no photos to look at so you can match anything.

from my view, it is just sanded and clear coated particle board of some sort.

i am curious by nature