PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic switch to turn router on and off?

fozzyber
03-02-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm thinking of running the power cable from the router to the cabinet where the control box is, and mounting a magnetic switch to turn off and on the router. like this one
http://cdn4.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/h/h8240.jpg

http://www.grizzly.com/products/110V-Magnetic-On-Off-Switch/H8240

Can someone tell me why I should not do this, seems safer the reaching over the table to find the switch on top of the router...

Thanks

myxpykalix
03-02-2011, 03:17 AM
My router is wired into my control box so that when I start a file I have to get up and walk to the side of the table and hit the switch on the side of the control box to start the router. It would be closer if i just started it from the router. It is a PITA:D

I was thinking about getting the box from SB to be able to sit where i do and turn on the router but it was around $200.00. Your alternative might be better.
Think about where you want to place it. I usually sit at 0,0 lower Left and the control box is located across the table and down about a foot. Far enough away that i can't reach over so i have to get up and walk to it.

There is no reason you cannot have one of these switches but it would be best to mount it close to where you operate your computer from.

meatbal80
03-02-2011, 08:36 AM
I replaced the power cable on my PC router and have it strung through the gantry. I have a switch just have not wired it in yet that will sit on the side of my gantry so that i do not have to reach over the side. I figure that if i have to quickly shut off the router this would be a good location.

ken_rychlik
03-02-2011, 09:04 AM
I used a heavy duty light switch for a while on my first machine, before getting it set up to automatically start and stop everything.

Actually I even had a flexible paddle for a while that would come to a certain position and the paddle would turn off the switch at the end of a file. I guess that was kind of hillbilly automated. :rolleyes:

The less things I have to remember to turn on and off, the better.

It will probably work fine, but it does say it's rated for 1/2 hp. The roter is over 3 hp.

steve_g
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Jerry
I mounted electrical boxes on the Y car. Like Jack, my power comes from the control box and I never touch the switches on the routers. My control box is mounted a few steps from my machine, forcing me to stand up and walk two steps to turn it on. My intent was to stop me from doing something stupid in the middle of the night when I’m half asleep. The short walk has become my “Prior ACT” required by OSHA for initiating a dangerous action.

Steve

fozzyber
03-02-2011, 02:18 PM
The switch specs says that is is rated for a 1/2 hp motor and 16 amps,
That does not jive, I know the pc motor can't be pulling 16 amps.
The Control box and the computer are in a computer right next to each other
at the xy= 48,48 I think I'm going to give this a try.
I don't think I want the computer turning on and off the router at this time.
Thanks

Jerry

curtiss
03-02-2011, 06:55 PM
I think the pc router will pull about a max of 7 amps under a very heavy load, which might not occur too often. An amp meter is a good $60 to spend to check on the electrical loads of a lot of things around the house.

If your router is pulling above 7 amps I would guess something is not right and you should have it checked. It will pull heavy when you first turn it on.

The switch is likely rated to 15 amps which is fairly common. I wired a 15 amp switch to an 15 amp outlet (on a 20 amp breaker in the box) to turn my DC on and off without a trip around the bot. I have to turn the router on the hard way by flipping the switch...

You might title your toolpaths to help remember what you want to do...

such as: Text 16k 125em 100

which for me means set the router to 16,000 rpms, 1/8" end mill bit, set to cut 1/10 of an inch deep... do not use a lot of dots in a toolpath title