PDA

View Full Version : My E Cabinets/Shopbot Link wish list

rww
03-05-2011, 11:00 PM
So after using the link to cut up a few hundred sheet of material here is my wish list.

1. Print out labels per sheet. I would prefer right before it starts cutting. I don't like having a pile of several hundred labels next to the computer all day.

2. Be able to do flip ops any time and come back to the regular nest. So I could do the flip ops per sheet and not have a pile of parts I have to wait on cutting (flip ops) until everything else is cut.

3. Pause the link and go into the regular Shopbot program. This way if I needed to surface the table or needed to cut a different part I wouldn't have to shut the link down. I know I can shut down the link and then just re write to the Shopbot but if it a large list it could take 5-10min. for the link to write it to the Shopbot.

4. (I think this can be done but I haven't been able to figure it out yet) Have the Shopbot cut out cabinet backs (1/4" & 1/2") in one pass without a skin pass. I'm not really concerned about cut quality here just time savings.

Feel free to correct me if some of these things can be changed right now. Otherwise I would like to know if you have any ideas that could make the link even better. So far I am really enjoying using the link.

Gary Campbell
03-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Jason...
Not sure this is the best place to post a wish list, but I am sure you can round up a few allies here. Myself included.

1) I usually break my jobs into 15 -25 sheet batches just to keep the labels organized. I print the sheet layouts and staple the strip of part labels to it. Then stack them in order. I am on the fence with this one. I can see the massive pile of paper for a hundred sheet job would be a pain. I can also feel the pain of a CNC waiting on a $50 printer.

2) You can enter [f] at any time to cut a flipop part, assuming it has been cut prior.

3) When I was in the Keys, I often had to resurface due to shrinkage every 6-8 sheets. I wrote in a C# file into the sheet footer that allows subbing out to the surfacer, then returns to the nest. I've only used this twice with the ATC machine (much easier), but have found with little or no humidity, the spoilboard only needs to be surfaced every 50 sheets +/-. (the long spool up times can be shortened by smaller runs)

4) One of my pet peeves. Havent found a way to get around this one. Tooling groups should allow material specific settings like this.

The only thing you need to make cutting more fun is to add an ATC. Over half the cutting is done with bits that cost 1/3 that of the mort comps. Your design limitations disappear. Imagine cutting with:
3/8 compression (outline only)
3/8 mort compression (1/4" panel outlines only)
3/8 down spiral (rout pocket)
1/4 down spiral (rout pocket drill)
5mm down spiral (rout pocket)
3mm drill (pilots)
5mm drill (system screws)
10mm drill (press levelers & hangers)
20mm drill (rafix)
2.5" surfacer

I have room in the carousel for 2 more, but need to rustle up the $. (sorry, had to rub it in a little)

kerry_fullington
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Gary,

Just curious. If your 1/4" back sizes do not fall into the parameters you have set to perform a skin pass would they not through cut on the first outline pass?

Gary Campbell
03-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Kerry....
I wish it were that easy. In order to insure skin pass (climb/conv) cuts on all parts from 1/2 and 3/4, the parameter has to be set high enough to make sure a pantry side is included. Very few backs have dimensions or area that would allow triggering a single pass.

I am sure that the programmers didn't assume all parts would get a skin pass. That's why they are programmers. I use a different bit and speed when I cut 1/4 material. It would be really nice to single pass cut it too.

loriny
03-07-2011, 09:10 PM
You don't have to rewrite to shopbot. Whenever I shut down for whatever reason I just go into recent files and pick the link file. Then you need to choose all shopbot files from the dropdown menu and pick data. I hope this makes sense.
Lorin

kerry_fullington
03-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Jason,

Did you try nesting your backs separately and adjusting the Skin Pass parameters to not include any of your back sizes?
This should let you cut your 1/4" material in a single pass.
It isn't automatic but it gets the result you are looking for.

Gary Campbell
03-08-2011, 07:47 AM
From my experience, changing the settings for the backs isnt a problem. Its finding out you didnt change them back when the parts for the next job are sliding around the table. (priceless) :mad:

kerry_fullington
03-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Gary,

I look at this differently. Setting the parameters in the control software is just the way you raise and lower the saw blade to get the best cut for each material.