PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade?

Kemosabe62
03-09-2011, 09:38 PM
I just purchased a PRS 48x96 standard w/2.2 spindle. I was told it's a 2007-2008 model. The software Cd that came with it says "Shopbot control software for the PRT4g upgrade board". It's not the same as the online tutorials I've been studying.

I'm assuming if I want to be current I need to upgrade to, I think, Partworks. Do I do this through Shopbot so I can get the latest drivers for my machine or do I go through Vectric. I'd like to get the latest paperwork and software that I need for this machine and any video tutorials not available online.

I am very proficient in Corel Draw and will be doing most of, if not all my designs here and transfer to Partworks or what ever to do the carving.

This is something I've been wanting to do for several years. Glad to be able to have a place to ask these questions.

Thanks
Anthony Welch

Brady Watson
03-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Anthony,
The 4G = 4th Generation Standard Controls, in case you wanted to know & this only pertains to machine hardware & electronics. You can upgrade the control software, ShopBot3 (SB3.exe) which runs on your PC and commands the CNC, plus the firmware which runs on the outboard controller in the control box - for free via the support area on shopbottools.com

For your design & toolpathing software, PartWizard was a very dumbed down version of ArtCAM Insignia, and while it was leaps and bounds easier to use than their previous CAD/CAM offering, it has been superceded by PartWorks.

PartWorks only outputs CNC code for ShopBot's tools. It is, for comparison, functionally identical to Vectric's VCarve Pro software, except it is offered at a discount since it only outputs ShopBot code. It is excellent software - both powerful and easy to use & well worth the upgrade price. Call ShopBot for this.

-B

Kemosabe62
03-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks Brady for the explanation. But comparing prices Vectric is cheaper.

V-Carve Pro v6 $599

Partsworks $795

or do I get more w/the Partsworks. Anybody know?

Anthony

ken_rychlik
03-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Seems to me like they used to include extended warranty on a machine with partworks for that price. You may want to call and double check on that.

Otherwise as far as the programs go, they are identical except for the post processors. Partworks will only work with a shopbot. V carve will output code to almost any machine out there.

GlenP
03-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Hey Anthony. Welcome the forum. Shopbot partworks is suite and comes with Partworks and Partworks 3d. That is the same as buying vcarve and cut 3d. If you aren't looking to do much 3d for now perhaps vcarve will be best. If there is any chance you will want to purchase 3d artwork and need to edit them then you will need both. Partworks will only have post processors for shopbot machines and vcarve has them for a large variety. I would suggest downloading vcarve and make sure it will do everything you want. You could go all the way and purchase vectric aspire if you are thinking of getting into 3d allot or even create textured backgrounds. If you end up wanting both vcarve and cut 3d then the shopbot version is cheaper as Brady stated.