PDA

View Full Version : Z shift

chunkstyle
03-25-2011, 06:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone might help me out with an issue I had today and maybe clear up any misunderstandings with the Z shift function in the Link's code output.
Tried to run a brad point bit for an 1/8" pilot hole as my first operation. Tool was number 14, set up as a drill operation only, and the maximum depth was .78". My Link settings are set up to run drilling operations first.
My machine only has a single spindle and tool rpm is 3k.
Generated the output from the TWD file and proceeded to run file. Machine called up Tool 14 first and zeroed out on my remote pad which zeros the bit to the bed.
Bit moves over to the first drill location. Drops a little then plunges the bit straight down untill it bottoms. Drilled thru material (.76" melamine) and into spoilboard.
I have done this several times in scrap.
Looking at the Link code there is all the correct information for tool #, rpm's, etc. The Z shift variable is also correct: .76" (melamine thickness).

I thought that the Link throws the Z 0 position to the top of the material by the use of the &Zshift at the beginning of the sheet's code? If so, then any Z position, following the &Zshift, that is positive will be above the material by that amount and a negative figure would be below the surface of the material by that amount?

If this is correct then would anyone have an idea why the &Zshift at the beginning of my sheet code is not being used? I've run the code in preview and it's there.

What I'm getting is the machine plunging the Brad point into my table surface .78" instead.

Did a Units reset. Did not help. Likewise with a computer reboot.

Tim

chunkstyle
03-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Talked with Ryan, at SB, today and he solved the trouble. The MTC tool file had the 'zero to table or bed?' portion of the code quoted out. So the &Zshift variable wasn't getting used in the link file.
Goy rid of the quotes in the MTC file and it works correct.

Gary Campbell
03-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Tim...
Is there any chance that you were using an MTC file that was modified? In most cases, there are a couple small line modofications that have to be made to the OEM files to allow them to work well with the SB Link.

Since these files are constantly being changed by SB and then distributed with the software, I recommend that all users of these modified files save a backup copy. My preferred method is to save the modified MTC (for example) and save it as "Custom9.sbc", which is the file that calls up the MTC. When doing a software upgrade, select to NOT overwrite custom files under 70 and your files stay intact.

The same can be done for the MTC On and MTC Off.

The majority of SB users do not zero to the bed. I have no reason why this is, but nonetheless, we users that do, should take some time to learn enough about coding to get and keep these files working well.

chunkstyle
03-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Gary,

Yes, my MTC file was modified to Zero to the bed by SB. I think what had happened was I updated the SB3 to the most current version while trying to solve some persistent com issues with SB support.
Having gone thru this once, with a fixed schedule for production now behind, I will make sure to back up the files you suggested. Wish I knew enough to do this beforehand. Stumble and learn I guess.
Coding......always being and end user of programs used in production, I thought this would be similar. I'm now starting to realize that I will have to get my head wrapped around this skill in order to insure my machine will run correctly or be able to figure out why it isn't. I was mistaken to think that it would be a plug and play proposition when I brought it in to my shop. It now looks like it's necessary to own and be able to operate one of these machines in a production environment.

sigh........