PDA

View Full Version : 1 Man Lumber Mills

joe
03-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Creative Lumbering

A few years ago I was searching for local lumber mills and to my surprise there were several. Most of these fellows keep a very low profile and to find them it's takes a little time and effort. The benefits, for me, is like finding a pot of gold. What I'm looking for are small beautiful pieces that are considered as scrap and often piled up for burning. I've found small lumber mills are the best. A one or two man operation will have lots of attractive scrap laying around and more than willing to sell for close to nothing. You may also come across lumber which has a live edge. That wood has the bark left on the sides.

This is an education for many new wood workers. When I started I couldn't tell the difference between Cypress and Black Walnut. And I didn't know which lumber is best for routing. I found a lots of black walnut left out as scrap. For example,I found some beautiful 14 quarter black walnut the owner said it wasn't any good because it had bugs. I bought it all, once he promised me (Scouts Honor) there live bugs. I like worm holes. After a little research I found I could spray it with antifreze as a preservative.

Since I'm not making cabinets or finished interior products, I can get by materials others can't. Not only that, I enjoy a visit to lumber mills. Viewing the beautiful grain, and enjoying the smells keeps me going back. It's like a mini vacation.

A Little Hint: Take a scrap panel and v carve the lumber mill name in it and you make good friends. Most lumbermen are great to work with. They like to work with artists and will go out of their way to help.

Joe

John David
03-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I agree I have two local lumber mills and both are very helpful and excited to help me find the perfect pieces that noboby else has a use for. And a bonus is the cost I allways add on a few bucks because I think they sell to me too cheap.

I recomend everybody find one and keep it LOCAL

JD

kartracer63
03-26-2011, 09:57 AM
You are exactly right Joe.

I made friends with a little saw mill opperation shortly after I moved to my new home in Wisconsin. His scrap pile is a gold mine for making creative little signs, coat racks and such.

I bought some 12" oak and poplar from him a few weeks ago for making some cribbage boards. I'm planning on making him a saw blade shaped cribbage board as a gift. I'm sure he'll love it and it'll pay dividends down the road when he sees pieces I might want.

You're always full of such good practical advise Joe.

Thanks !!!

joewino
03-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I agree...Joe is certainly full of it. :)

joe
03-26-2011, 02:48 PM
There is so much lumber that isn't used because of flaws, cracks, and uneven colors. The attached photo is what I'm talking about. These 22"X 14' are considered waste because of the splits and cracks. Odd as it may seem, that's exactly what I'm after. I picked them up for almot nothing.

I like em just as they are as tables. The'd make good bunkhouse signs too.

Raymond, I hope things are picking up at old age home! I'd pay you a visit, to cheer you up, but the price of gas has me pinned down. Be sure to take your metamucil each day.

Joe

curtiss
03-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Hard to believe Oklahoma Joe could make a friend, but that is good.

So besides 1 man lumber mills, who are other good people to make friends with ???

joe
03-26-2011, 02:55 PM
There is so much lumber that isn't used because of flaws, cracks, and uneven colors. The attached photo is what I'm talking about. These 22"X 14' are considered waste because of the splits and cracks. Odd as it may seem, that's exactly what I'm after. Picked them us for almot nothing.

I like em just as they are as tables.

Raymond, I hope things are picking up at old age home! I'd pay you a visit, to cheer you up, but the price of gas has me pinned down.
Be sure to take your're metamucil each day.

Joe

myxpykalix
03-26-2011, 03:14 PM
talk about wormy walnut, i made this bowl from 1 flat piece of wormy walnut. The bugs make beautiful design. "One mans trash is another mans treasure".....well i guess that makes me a treasure hunter:rolleyes:

Brady Watson
03-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Wow Jack - that looks really well done!

-B

myxpykalix
03-27-2011, 12:00 AM
That was done on a "ringmaster" tool. It is a lot simpler then it looks. I started out with a flat 12" square. It cuts concentric rings smaller and smaller that just sit on top of each other.

joe
03-27-2011, 08:33 AM
The major point is, with a CNC you have the opportunity to use some special, inexpensive, materials like Jack is showing us.

There is a limit to how much lumber I dare take back to the shop. My mind says, "Look how beautiful that board is. "I need that one, it's my favorite", and on and on it goes till the truck is full. Sometimes the boys at the mill throw on a few extra boards. All this keeps me busy for months. My visits to a lumber mill is like Christmas all over again.

I'd suggest a mill visit just for fun. I bet you'll get a lot of new idea's and it won't cost anything.

Joe

hh_woodworking
03-27-2011, 10:24 AM
In going to the mill isn't the wood green. How are you handling drying the wood out? Or are you using it green? Air Dry? I was alway under impression to air dry was was 1 year per inch of thickness. I would have a hard time storing the wood for that length of time. Plenty of mills where I live.

joe
03-27-2011, 11:08 AM
That's right Ed.

Lumber takes approx 1 year per inch as a general rule. Some of mills have stickered lumber but I don't care. Most of the lumber at places like Lowe's isn't dried. Kiln dried lumber brings a different price. For my purposes it isn't necessary.

Most exterior wood signs are going to crack a little. Even my kiln dried redwood has that problem. If you read my post about finishing rough cedar you'll get a better idea of how it's used. I also love yellow pine (green as a goard) form Lowe's. When buying lumber there I look for vertical grain. It stays together very well. I've also posted some examples of laminating yellow pine and it's strong points.

Here's a sign I made some time ago. It's made with (sopping wet) yellow pine. To this day it doesn't have any cracks. The trick, once again, is vertical grain. You can see what I mean by looking at the board ends. Rough cedar won't come with vertical grain and it's going to crack. I promise it will and look forward to seeing it happen.

I look forward to seeing more work from you guys. Please post your photo's

Joe

myxpykalix
03-27-2011, 01:21 PM
The problem with going to the mills is that you collect way more wood then you will ever use in your lifetime!

michael_schwartz
03-30-2011, 02:23 AM
Since I started buying from a small-midsized sawing/drying operation I have a hard time going to conventional retailers. The place I buy from charges a bit more than the one man shows but the retail prices for stuff they mill are in the "wholesale" range. They also do a good job drying which is important when you want a 14"+ wide board that is reasonably flat to begin with.

joe
03-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Michael,

Wish I had that kind of saw mill operation close by. I'd certainly use them also.

You do outstanding work my friend. Wish I was closer so I could by abd pick-up on some of your skills. There are lots of traditional woodworkers in your state and plenty of good lumber too. You're a lucky fellow.

All we got down here is, not much, and Texas is right next door.

Joe