PDA

View Full Version : Tyro Reviews

ccmarsh
03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Hello all. I am looking for information and reviews about the Tyro. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find some and maybe some pictures of some work that was done using the Tyro. I am very interested in purchasing one.

cabnet636
03-30-2011, 06:39 AM
randy johnson of "American Woodworker" did this on his tyro and displayed them last weekend at my shop, the quality was first rate. it was obvious to me it is a very capable machine for the small foot print!

ccmarsh
03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Thank you very much Mr. Johnson. The Tyro sounds exactly what I am looking for. Something compact that does not sacrfice quality. I'm curious if he used the spindle or a router? My guess would be to buy a Tyro with a spindle rather than using a router. I assume by using a spindle the ridigidity would be less of an issue and that the quality would be better. Is that correct?

Thanks James

michael_schwartz
03-30-2011, 05:16 PM
If I were on a budget I would get the router, and put the extra money into software or tooling. If you can afford the spindle go for it.

Personally I can't comment on the spindle, or router supplied with the tyro as I am not familiar with the platform. I will say that I get by just fine with a router on my 48x96 PRS Standard.

bleeth
03-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Chris: You didn't say what your primary usage is going to be for the tool. I watched one do some work at the SB camp at my shop in January that had the spindle. I also run a spindle on my full size bot. I believe in them!
For fine engraving I sure wouldn't go any other way and in a small work space the lack of router noise will save your sanity. Using a clamping system for your parts and a quiet vacuum for chips like the Fein and you could have it running in one side of your office while you're speaking normally to others or on the phone.

bill.young
03-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I've been using a Desktop (the new name for the Tyro) with a router to cut QR codes into engraving plastic. I use a collet, nut, and 1/32" bit from Precise Bits.

bleeth
03-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Hey Bill: Is that cause you couldn't get the right collett from Gordon for the spindle?:D

(private joke)

bill.young
03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
No comment!

ccmarsh
03-30-2011, 07:58 PM
The things that I would like to make are small clocks, cribbage boards, lithoplanes, bird houses, Jewelry, inlay work, things like that. I would like the ability to personalize everything, for instance, use a picture of the kids and incorporate it in the over all design of the gift. Things like that.

ccmarsh
03-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Michael I understand what your saying but your table is bigger. I would think that the individual pieces of your shopbot are probably thicker metal. The Desktop I'm guessing doesn't have the rigidity due to the thinner design so I would think that since a spindle weighs less then that would help a little more? Please remember I am on this forum to ask for advice. I'm getting a cnc machine in the near future I want to do as much research as possible. I also like to buy American products whenever I can.

Thank you all for your input and advice.

Chris