PDA

View Full Version : cutting tempered harboard cleanly?

knight_toolworks
04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
so far I have not had any lock to eliminate the fuzz. I have to sue a 1/16" bit so that eliminates a lot of bits. cranking the rpms hels a tiny bit but not much. I am cutting 1/8" in a single pass at 2ips. I tired 8k 12k and 18k

ATX Poly Products
04-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I have tried cutting masonite-hardboard with medium quality but like you say...

I can't seem to not have some fuzzys afterwards. I have varied between 1-2 ips and 10k - 18k... also multiple bit choices too.

knight_toolworks
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I think it may be like cardboard. more flutes like 4 to 6. but that's not super practical for a 1/16" bit.

steelcnccutter
04-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I am new to cuttiing and have no experience but i did cut alot of it while practicing with the shopbot. I was making some puzzles as a learning curve. well i had lots of fuzzy edges also. I thought it was the unkowing how too on my part. I did how ever learn to take a small cut about .125 deep and then stop machine and took a piece of carpet with jute backing and used it like piece of sand paper. It worked great, almost unbelieveable. just a few swipes and edge clean and if there was a tough spot i used the backing side of carpet and took care of it . then i continued the cut and all turned out great. I hope this helps but it is a small extra step but it was truely a swipe across it and clean without the abbarasive from sand paper. let me know if you try it good luck hope i was some help.

billp
04-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Steve,
In re-reading your original post you say you are using a 1/16"bit and going 1/8"deep per pass? In most cases I wouldn't be doing passes that were twice the size of my bit's diameter for fear of flexing/distortion/ragged cut, etc. And that's usually in much larger bits. You must have those little bits doing acrobatics...

knight_toolworks
04-07-2011, 01:43 PM
the material cuts like butter so bit flex is not an issue from what I see. this is just a back to a clock and the cuts seem accurate or the customer has not complained. but I may be cutting sheets and sheets so I need to do it quickly.