PDA

View Full Version : Testament for an old machine

tuck
04-16-2011, 11:56 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f332/Superfan52/bot.jpg

That's my dinosaur, folks. ^^^. Don't laugh! She's still making dust after all these years and with very few problems.

I'm the 2nd owner. I purchased it locally from a guy that bought it new from ShopBot in '96. He built the wooden table to ShopBot specs and after a year or so his wife insisted that he get it out of the garage so she could park her car, and I was in the right place at the right time. I paid $3,900.00 (included a computer and monitor) for it and it has paid for itself many times over with the sign work I've been able to do with it.

I upgraded to a new control box about 6 years ago for $750.00 and replaced the Porter Cable router with a Milwaukee shortly afterwards. The Porter Cable was fine but the Milwaukee is much quieter. Other than that, it's all original. Problems have been few and far between, those that I've had mostly due to lack of maintenance. And whenever I (rarely) needed help from ShopBot, they were there for me.

I drool over the newer Alphas and such. Quieter, faster, more capable and all that. But hey, for what I do, I'll stick with my '57 Chevy!:)

Bottom line,...you can't go wrong with a ShopBot in my experience.

Edit to say, I have managed to get along all this time without a vacuum table, spindle or zero plate. :-)

donchandler
04-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Mark,
I really understand where you are coming from. I have a old PR machine and a PRT Alpha. The old PR is much more reliable than the PRT. I am definitely not a fan of Windows and all of the problems that seem to come with it. If They have a choice, my workers will do a job on the PR machine before they will use the PRT.

curtiss
04-17-2011, 06:21 PM
My truck is getting a bit old... my golf clubs are now a bit old compared to many....

However, if you make a SIGN that says...

"Built yesterday... to meet today's needs....

and tomorrow's challenges.

That will cover it.

jerry_stanek
04-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I have an old PR that I upgraded the control box to 4g and it is now a work horse.

sam_harbold
04-17-2011, 07:18 PM
I am still using my pr everyday. I purchased it new in March of 99.

tuck
04-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Cutris - not sure what you mean but I like your way with words!

Jerry - when I upgraded, the 4g was not out yet so I'm still poking along at a snails pace. 4g is still on the wish list.

Sam - gee, that looks an AWFUL LOT like my machine! :cool: