PDA

View Full Version : looking for a drawing software

frank134
04-18-2011, 10:26 PM
HI Guys....
I hope someone can help. I looking for software that will work with the shopbot that I can draw with. It has to work like AutoCAD but not as complex. I want to draw straight line. Be able to measure each line and keep it on the screen. I need to draw thing like French provincial leg and keep the dimension with it.
I don't want to use sketch as it will not download directly to the shopbot.
Thank You
Frank

Gary Campbell
04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Frank...
Try Turbocad or one of the cad clones. Make sure they can weld or join lines into closed geometries.Usually as long as you can export as a Acad V12 DXF you will be good. There are also dozens of freeware programs, but I prefer some direction and support for a few $
GC

srwtlc
04-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Frank,

Take a look at DoubleCad XT. There's a free version. It's an AutoCad LT "work alike" from the makers of TurboCad (IMSI)

http://www.doublecad.com/Products/DoubleCADXTv3/tabid/1100/Default.aspx

myxpykalix
04-19-2011, 01:11 AM
you should check out inkscape. its free www.inkscape.org (http://www.inkscape.org)

CNYDWW
04-19-2011, 07:51 AM
I have bobcad but i wouldn't recommend it. I use inkscape and sketchup. You can get a free add on for the GoogleSketchup that exports in dxf, stl, polyface mesh etc. It actually works very very well. If you want to try it i have the addon and directions just e'mail me. Biggest issue i have with it is when saving, you have to manually add the file extension so partworks or other programs will recognize it.

Regards
Randy

Brady Watson
04-19-2011, 08:43 AM
For 2D drawing it is hard to beat PartWorks. For drawing full 3D things like legs, accompanied by 2D lines and dimensions, Rhino is an excellent choice. You can import 2D drawings that you have already done in PartWorks into Rhino & Export 3D objects you created in Rhino to PartWorks3D.

There's a ton of different programs out there, but I can't say they are as easy to use.

-B

richard_saylor
04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
I've found DesignCad 3D Max to be a good compromise between cost and value. It's constantly being upgraded and has a loyal following of helpful users.

frank134
04-19-2011, 10:07 PM
How. Yune guys don't make it easy. I just want something simple. I want to draw 2d. I want to draw pieces like legs and thing that I cut on the band saw but can do much better on the cnc. plus the cnc will copy. Square, circle things like that. But it must also be about to draw dimension and put the dimension on the drawing. So far turbo cab lite seem to be the best for this unless someone something easier?

curtiss
04-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Are the dimensions needed to show to a client ??

Partworks or / Vectric could draw lines that would pass for dimensions with some text added.

Of course in a cad program, the dimensions usually attach to linework and update automatically when the linework changes. I worked with a guy once who thought the dimensions for a building had to be set to the nearest 1/256th.... a bit too precise for the framing crews.

MogulTx
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Frank,

I have to echo Richard's recommendation. I have used a few design programs ( including AutoCAD- for which you need a college degree in AutoCAD in order to be effective!), and the one that I use for my company business is DesignCAD. I have used versions of this program through the years, and the current version that I have on 8-9 machines is DesignCAD 3DMax, Version 20. I have bought these copies ( all legit copies. I don't want any illegal SW) from resellers on Ebay. I have paid as little as $39 for the SW. There is a copy of V 19 on there right now for 24.95 with free shipping.

If you have drawn any parts in PW, you will be able to quickly draw things in DesignCAD. You can pull dimensions in a heartbeat with this program. It is very logical, very easy to use and you can use their forum or contact their support people ( Kevan over there is GREAT. I send him emails directly and he responds to questions that I have).

What I would do: Once you have drawn what you want to cut, you would save the file. Then you would export the drawing to a DXF file and save that. Remove the portions you do not want to cut (all the dimension lines and angle information, notes, etc.) And either resave or rename to a "to be cut" file. Send that to the controlling computer- either over a network or via Thumb drive or what have you- and open it in PartWorks. Now you are ready to toolpath it and cut it.

I taught myself how to use DesignCAD and most of what I am doing in PW ( both were done with help from others) and you could send me questions or even call me and I will help you with what I know about working with the program. I only use DesignCAD for 2D functions, but one of my guys draws 3D objects for me- and I can get him to help with things if you get stuck, as well. ( Nothing like having built in tech support, that isn't out of India!)

I bet Richard might answer questions for you, as well. It really is so intuitive that you will probably not need very much help to do everything you want to do.

Good luck on it.

Monty

beacon14
04-20-2011, 10:56 PM
I have also been using DesignCad for years and find it very powerful yet easy to use once you are familiar with it. You can set up custom keybpard shortcuts for your most often-used commands.

You can save some steps by using layers to separate the working lines from dimensions, text, and construction lines. Then just select the layer (or any combination of entities), and choose "save selection only" when exporting the dxf file. That way only the lines you need make it to PartWorks.

frank134
04-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Ok guys. I pick DesignCAD 3D Max20. That Monty spoke of. Ten minute out of the box without reading I was drawing. It real easy. The cost is not a lot. Got it from e-bay. It copy in to aspire 3 really easy. The dimensioning is great and really easy also.
Thank Monty for a good lead.
frank

MogulTx
04-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Frank,

I am surprised you got a copy so quickly. I am glad it is something you have picked up really easily. I was laying out cuts tonight for a project- and it is pretty simple. There are many things you will discover as you work in the program.

David: I have not done layers going into PW, however a customer or two has set up layers for cuts. Most of my cutting is not so complex that I delve into layers. (soon, however.)

Thanks, all!

Monty

archis
11-22-2011, 06:06 AM
I'm trying to find a 3d package that works for me. I have tried Sketchup but I'm not convinced its for me.

I really like aspects of partworks, especially how it lets me draw polylines by specifying a single point at at time in a dialog box. Any suggestions as to what I should look at, given that I like how partworks does things.

Thanks

Rob Gunn
11-22-2011, 09:38 AM
I have recently found that SolidWorks has an AutoCad clone called DraftSigth. Its a free download and so far I have found no issues. It looks, feels, runs like AutoCad 2000. And did I mension its FREE! you can find it at:

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/

archis
11-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks but I think that's 2d, I'm looking for a 3d package that's "sorta like" partworks. The sketchup paradigm isn't working for me.

tmerrill
11-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Jim,

There is only one 3D program that is like PartWorks and that is Aspire. You will recognize all the 2D tools, functions and toolpaths, so your learning curve will just be the 3D side of it.

You should download the free trial version and take a closer look.

I believe there is an upgrade path from PartWorks to Aspire, but you would need to discuss that with ShopBot directly.

Tim

archis
11-23-2011, 06:40 AM
I looked at Aspire and I'm also looking at Rhino. I think aspire is about twice the price of Rhino, does it have any advantages over Rhino?

From what I've seen of Rhino so far, it looks pretty nice.

Brady Watson
11-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Rhino & Aspire are 2 totally different animals. First, Rhino is just CAD. There are no CAM features unless you buy RhinoCAM on top of Rhino CAD. No doubt it is a very useful program, but not something that everyone needs. In it's standard form, Rhino is a poor choice for creating reliefs and sculpting them. It excels in many areas...but relief creation & manipulation isn't one of them.

Aspire is probably the easiest way to get into the 3D game. It is easy for new users to learn and it will do most of what you would ever want to do in terms of 3D relief creation and machining. There are more powerful programs out there that offer more features, but most will never invest the time to learn or appreciate them, or have the need to really exploit them.

Aspire is the way to go for most & it has fantastic support and examples to guide you as you learn.

-B

archis
11-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks Brady, that helped to put things in perspective.

Reliefs are a big part of what we want to do since my wife is interested in fabric printing which will involve carving a lot of plates.

For me, I'm interested in learning how to design chairs, lamps, etc. and that's were it looks like Rhino will excel.